1 person is interested
Raise a Puppy, Change a Life
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
Canine Companions is a non-profit organization that provides expertly trained service dogs to adults, children and veterans completely free of charge. Help us provide more service dogs - become a volunteer puppy raiser today! Open your heart and home to a puppy with a purpose and you can help change lives.
Canine Companions volunteer puppy raisers provide specially-bred puppies a safe home, teach basic skills, provide socialization opportunities and give lots of love. Each hour spent caring for a Canine Companions puppy is vital to its development as a future service dog. The puppy raising program provides a unique opportunity for volunteers to assist with our very important mission. If you are under the age of 18, you must have a parent or legal guardian fill out the application and you can sign on as a co-applicant.
If you would like more information about becoming a volunteer puppy raiser, please reach out to the Northeast Region training center at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our puppy raising FAQ
Volunteer puppy raisers are tasked with :
- Providing a safe environment for a puppy
- Working closely with Canine Companions to monitor the puppy’s progress and submit monthly reports
- Attending an average of two Canine Companions approved classes per month.
- Teaching the puppy manners and basic commands.
- Providing for the puppy’s food, veterinary expenses and puppy classes. You will also be responsible for transporting the dog to the regional training center at the projected time for professional training.
- Feeding the puppy a diet recommended by Canine Companions.
- Acquiring and utilizing a kennel or crate for sleeping indoors.
- Providing the puppy with age-appropriate socialization opportunities, such as public outings and veterinary appointments.
- Keeping the puppy on a leash at all times, unless supervised in a securely fenced area.
- Supervising the young puppy throughout the day.
- Agreeing to return the puppy to Canine Companions upon request.
Learn more about Canine Companions at canine.org.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About CANINE COMPANIONS FOR INDEPENDENCE - NORTHEAST REGION (Maine to Virginia)
The Miller Family Campus, 286 Middle Island Road, Medford, NY 11763, US
Canine Companions for Independence, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides expertly trained service dogs and ongoing support to people with disabilities.
Canine Companions provides expertly trained service dogs to children, adults, and veterans with disabilities to enhance their independence. Canine Companions' dogs are provided at no cost to the graduates. All the expenses of breeding, raising, and training a Canine Companion is funded through private donations.
286 Middle Island RoadMedford, NY 11763
June 20, 2022
- Animal Care / Handling
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training