Community Outreach VISTA - Black River Innovation Campus
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Center on Rural InnovationAbout the program
This AmeriCorps VISTA program offers an incredible opportunity to address the widening geographic divide in our country, work towards an equitable recovery from COVID-19, and contribute to programs and models that create sustainable economic opportunity for people from all places.
VISTA members will recruit participants into digital jobs training programs, provide wrap-around supports to help participants thrive, and connect graduates with local career pathways and remote employment opportunities -- all with an eye for identifying best practices to scale the training-and-career model to rural communities across the country.Participating communities:
- Cape Girardeau, Missouri: Codefi Foundation on Rural Innovation Inc.
- Independence, Oregon: Indy Idea Hub
- Marquette, Michigan: The Upper Peninsula Cybersecurity Institute at Northern Michigan University
- Pine Bluff, Arkansas: The Generator at Go Forward Pine Bluff
- Platteville, Wisconsin: The IDEA Hub Accelerator
- Portsmouth, Ohio: Shawnee State University, Kricker Innovation Hub
- Springfield, Vermont: Black River Innovation Campus (BRIC)
Community Outreach VISTA:
The Community Outreach VISTA will be involved in activities centered around engaging community leaders, stakeholders, and beneficiaries of digital skills training through the CORI VISTA Program. These activities will include building the capacity of local tech talent through volunteer engagement, promoting leadership opportunities, promoting digital skills training, and developing job opportunities through local tech employers and National remote employers. This role will also encompass trust building activities with prospective community partners, and the development and distribution of community outreach materials as the site leader direct.
In this role, there are four primary objectives that the Community Outreach VISTA is expected to complete by the end of their service year:
- Build capacity for digital workforce through volunteer engagement and leadership development
- Promote digital skilling and tech job opportunities to low-income residents
- Develop partnerships with community leaders to drive inclusive tech cultures
- Develop outreach-based deliverables identified by the site leader
Essential qualifications: At least 18 years of age
Desired qualifications and attributes:
- Passionate about creating inclusive economic opportunity
- Intellectually curious, with enthusiasm for diving into new ideas, exploring different solutions, and pivoting to what works
- Ability to be self-directed and self-motivated, while also interested in working as part of a larger team and program
- Computer skills, including PowerPoint, Google Suite, and basic tech savviness
- Persuasive communicator and storyteller able to articulate the value of future-focused training and careers to job seekers and employers alike
- Experience in technology, computer science, or education (Recruitment & Training VISTA) preferred, but not required
Additionally, applicants should be aware that a car or other form of private transportation is highly recommended for these positions.
Benefits: All VISTA members serving with CORI will receive no-cost housing for the duration of their service year, along with access to the local coworking or office space in their community (pending health guidelines). Members also receive the standard AmeriCorps VISTA benefits:
- Living allowance ($13,800 annual allotment in 2020)--paid bi-weekly
- Relocation and settling in allowance
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Choice of education award or end-of-service stipend
- Health coverage
- Professional development training
Additionally, all VISTA members will receive on-the-job-training from experienced nonprofit employees, be connected to a national nonprofit with major institutional funders, and have a valued voice in CORI's efforts to scale inclusive digital jobs training programs across the country.
*For details about AmeriCorps VISTA benefits, please visit https://www.vistacampus.gov/members/benefits-of-service.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
6819 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
60 Park StreetSpringfield, VT 05156
August 1, 2022