Court Monitor for Victims of Domestic Violence
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Court Watch Montgomery
Court Watch Montgomery's more than 40 conscientious volunteers of diverse ages and backgrounds believe that every victim of intimate partner violence deserves rapid and comprehensive legal protection and respectful treatment by judges, lawyers, bailiffs, and court personnel. As a nonprofit research organization, we have compiled data on more than 5,000 protective order and domestic violence criminal cases and published numerous reports on our findings that have resulted in life-saving improvements at court.
Volunteers are the heart and soul of our effort and we need your help. We seek objective court monitors with superior listening skills. As unbiased observers with a penchant for detail, we need you to collect accurate data that could have a profound impact on the lives of future victims. Becoming involved with Court Watch will not only provide you with the opportunity to connect with the community in a meaningful way but will allow you to witness first-hand how a data-driven nonprofit can create lasting changes to the court system.
Note: Courts are now fully open to the public and pandemic safety protocols have been lifted effective April 4, 2022.
Court Monitor Requirements:
- Observe and document court data on monitoring forms in Silver Spring District Court (across from downtown Silver Spring metro) or Rockville District Court (a few blocks from Rockville metro)
- Volunteers are asked to commit to two weekly mornings per month of their choice to attend protective order hearings held from 8:30 a.m. to around noon.
- Collaborates immediately after court session with other volunteers to create a Master Monitoring Form for quality control purposes.
- Due to the learning curve and training involved, we require a commitment of at least 8 months, preferably longer.
- Willing to attend training, receive feedback, and make revisions to completed monitoring forms.
- Ability to scan forms or take a cell phone photo for electronic submission
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Silver Spring, MD 20910
June 15, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH