92 people are interested
Soup Kitchen Volunteering
ORGANIZATION: CHiPS Soup Kitchen and Food Pantry
Please visit the new page to apply.
92 people are interested
Community Help in Park Slope (CHiPS), located at the corner of 4th Avenue and Sackett Street in Park Slope, has been operating as a community-supported soup kitchen and food pantry since 1971. We serve upwards of 400 meals per day and 200 pantry bags per week to the individuals and families who visit us.
We need volunteers Monday through Friday for the 10:30 - 1:30PM shift.
Volunteers help with a variety of tasks at the Soup Kitchen and Food Pantry:
-help to prep, cook, package meals, and clean up
-prepare and package snacks, pantry bags and to-go meal bags
-engage with guests at food service window, engage with guests at sandwich and fruit station, distribute meal bags, pantry bags, and toiletry bags to guests
- engage with guests on the line, check them in for food service, and conduct surveys when needed- help organize donations/ supplies, pack toiletry bags
- 10:30 AM to 01:30 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About CHiPS Soup Kitchen and Food Pantry
200 4th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11217, US
OUR PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1971, CHIPS (Park Slope Christian Help, Inc.) has been a community of Brooklyn neighbors, volunteers, and friends who share a common spiritual vision to help those who are less fortunate. We prepare hot, nutritious meals and serve them to the needy in a caring and respectful environment. In addition to meals, we offer seasonal clothing, emergency pantry items, and shelter for young mothers and their children. Our dedication to service goes beyond the basic needs in the hope that all our disadvantaged brothers and sisters may find independence and the strength to meet life's challenges. All our services are offered free of charge through the generosity of our community.
OUR PROGRAMS: FOOD, SHELTER, CLOTHING
- Last year, our soup kitchen served 103,000 nutritious breakfasts, hot lunches, and bagged lunches-to-go to our neighbors who could not afford a meal.
- Our Frances Residency Program, founded by the Francsiscan Sisters of the Poor and named after their founder Mother Frances Schervier, sheltered 9 young mothers and their 13 babies, and provided counseling and services that helped them become responsible members of our community.
- Our oncoing drive helped keep hundreds of disadvantaged men and women clothed all year.
But some of our neighbors are still struggling, and their problems weaken our collective strength.
PARTNER WITH US
We invite you to partner with CHIPS in service, and be part of our wonderful team of schools, churches, synagogues, and individuals whose generous donations have helped CHIPS stay strong for over 40 years. For example, the Park Slope Food Coop has supported us with food donations and volunteers. Our solution is simple: keep it local, and see immediate results.
Your support can make a huge difference. We're talking about basic needs, where a little can go a very long way.
200 4th AvenueBrooklyn, NY 11217
September 22, 2023
- Cooking / Catering
- Food & Beverage Services
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Must be at least 16
- We prefer volunteers who can commit to a weekly, recurring shift. The shift duration is three hours.
- Must be 16 years old to volunteer