2 people are interested
Volunteer Child Advocates Needed
Please visit the new page to apply.
2 people are interested
The Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights is looking for volunteer Child Advocates. We are in need of bilingual, Spanish speaking, volunteers in the McAllen, Brownsville, Harlingen, and Corpus Christi, TX and surrounding areas. If you would like to learn more about the Young Center's work and the volunteer Child Advocate role visit theyoungcenter.org/volunteer.
Make a difference in the life of an unaccompanied immigrant child by volunteering to serve as a Child Advocate. A Child Advocate is an adult who volunteers to spend time with and advocate on behalf of an individual unaccompanied immigrant child while he or she is subject to deportation proceedings. We get to know prospective volunteers through an initial screening interview, an application and reference check, and at the required two-day training. Once assigned to an individual child, each Child Advocate receives continuing training, support, and supervision from the Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights.
As a Child Advocate, you commit to:
- Visit with the child once a week (1hr) during the duration of their shelter/facility stay. (In-person visits preferred, but virtual is available under circumstances)
- Help the child think through options and decisions.
- Conduct research on the child’s situation in his or her home country.
- Help our staff draft written reports regarding the child’s best interest.
- Maintain close communication with Young Center staff and the child’s Case Manager at the shelter to schedule visits.
- Advocate for the best interest of the child.
Saturday June 11th & Sunday June 12th (virtual) 11am-4pm /or/ Saturday August 20th & Sunday August 21st (Harlingen) 11am-4pm.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About The Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights - Harlingen
2004 W Jefferson Av., Suite 6, Harlingen, TX 78550, US
The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights protects and advances the rights and best interests of immigrant children according to the Convention on the Rights of the Child and state and federal law.
The Young Center is a champion for the best interests of children who arrive in the United States on their own, from all corners of the world. We serve as trusted allies for these children while they are in deportation proceedings, advocating for their best interests, and standing for the creation of a dedicated children’s immigrant justice system that ensures the safety and well-being of every child
Multiple locations Harlingen, TX 78552
May 25, 2022
- Child Welfare
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Child Advocacy
- Immigration Law
- Social Work
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Must attend 2 day training. Must be able to commit to one hour a week for a few months.