DONATE TO THIS
7 people are interested
Volunteer Docent for School Visitors
ORGANIZATION: MONMOUTH COUNTY HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
7 people are interested
We are in need of enthusiastic volunteers to bring history to life when students in grades 3-12 visit our historic buildings. Volunteers will always conduct the tour in pairs or groups of three, depending on the size of the school group. Training will be provided, and we will make sure you are prepared and comfortable before conducting your first tour!
An background in education is preferred, though those with a flair for storytelling and/or a love of history are encouraged to apply! You also must have:
- Reliable transportation to travel to the historic buildings - Ability to climb stairs - A phone and/or in-person interview
Tour Locations: - Marlpit Hall & Taylor Butler House, Middletown, NJ
- Covenhoven House, Freehold, NJ
- Allen House, Shrewsbury, NJ
Additional Information: - We can work with your schedule if you have preferred days.
- Tours run about 60 minutes for 4th-5th graders; 90 minutes for middle/high school students - Training is mandatory and will be provided by Association staff until the tour can be conducted confidently and effectively. Informational packets and videos will be provided for take-home use. - Volunteers will always work with one or two others, so you will never be alone with the students.
09:00 AM to 02:00 PM
Volunteers must be available weekdays. Time frame depends on school schedule. May be one or two groups on a given day.
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About MONMOUTH COUNTY HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
70 COURT ST, FREEHOLD, NJ 07728, US
Monmouth County Historical Association collects, preserves, and interprets its extensive museum, research library, and archival collections that relate to Monmouth County’s history and culture and makes these resources available to the widest possible audience. The Association promotes the study and appreciation of regional and national history through educational programming, publications, special exhibits, and research services. The Association also preserves and interprets five significant historic sites that represent the County’s vanishing architectural heritage. Through its pursuit of these objectives, the Association enriches the quality of life in Monmouth County by preserving and passing on knowledge of its diverse heritage for future generations.
MCHA has become a multi-faceted organization comprising our Museum, Research Library & Archives in Freehold and five Historic House Museums throughout Monmouth County. Our exhibits, lectures ,and special events help us to provide a variety of opportunities for people of all ages to engage in learning about and appreciating the interesting history and cultural heritage of our unique area.
In October 2021, MCHA opened a new semi-permanent exhibit, "Beneath the Floorboards: Whispers of the Enslaved at Marlpit Hall" in Middletown, NJ. This exhibition reinterprets this colonial-era historic house, including the stories of the enslaved African Americans who once resided there. We are actively seeking docents interested in supporting this exhibit and other educational programs at MCHA. Learn more at https://www.monmouthhistory.org/beneath-the-floorboards.
Additional educational programs are offered at each Historic House Museum, which includes guided tours by docents. Volunteers are needed to staff our Historic House Museums on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Training and support are provided for these positions.
Volunteer hours are at your discretion and contingent on the projects that interest you, ranging from once or twice a year to every week. The Association staff is flexible and willing to work with your schedule to find the ideal situation for each volunteer.
Multiple locations Freehold, NJ 07728
November 25, 2023
- General Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Theater Arts
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers need to arrive 30 minutes before the tour to open the building and prepare any materials. Ten to 15 minutes after students leave the volunteers are required to secure the building before leaving.
- Volunteers must have reliable transportation to the location. Because volunteers work with students, a background check may be necessary.