Client Support Program Development VISTA, City of Spokane Public Defender's Office
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Spokane County United Way - AmeriCorps VISTA Program
Improve access to out-of-school-time programs for under-served youth in Spokane’s Hillyard neighborhood through communications and resource development!
Note: This is a full-time, one-year volunteer opportunity in partnership with AmeriCorps, S pokane County United Way, and the Spokane Municipal Community Court (SMCC) with the City of Spokane's Public Defender's Office. All interested parties must apply via the My AmeriCorps portal to be considered for this role: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=111938.
- Develop new partnerships and strengthen existing partnerships within the community to support volunteer recruitment for the Case Management Program at the Community Court
- Develop trauma-informed guidelines to support the volunteer-client match process and enhance client participation and outcomes
- Review the volunteer training program to evaluate its effectiveness and make recommendations for improvements
- Identify barriers to successful and long-term program delivery and develop a plan to sustain the program beyond their service term.
This project is supervised by the City of Spokane’s Public Defender’s Office, which operates a Community Court. The Spokane Municipal Court’s Community Court (SMCC) is a therapeutic court whose purpose is to attempt to address the root causes of low-level criminal acts committed in the downtown core of Spokane, Washington. The root causes are, broadly, poverty and lack of resources. The Court attempts to connect people living in poverty with resources that are available to help them to escape from poverty. One of the root causes of poverty is untreated and uncontrolled serious mental illness. At any one time in Community Court we have a handful (5-10 on average) of people suffering from serious mental illness that is currently either untreated or treated only sporadically, usually as the result of incarceration. The goal of this VISTA project is to build a program that recruits and trains case managers that can work with community court participants by performing a needs assessment for the SMCC, provide a report of the findings to the community court team, identify and forge relationships with organizations that are in a position to provide case management trainees and start to design a case manager training program for the SMCC.
Benefits & Logistics:
This position is in Spokane County, Washington, about 20 miles west of Idaho and 110 miles south of the Canadian border. Benefits include:
- $575 biweekly living allowance
- Health coverage
- Choice of either a Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $6,195) or $1,800 cash stipend upon successful completion of service term
- Federal non-competitive eligibility, giving you an edge in the federal hiring process
- Access to the CliftonStrengths assessment
- Join a cohort of VISTA members throughout Spokane in professional and personal development opportunities
- Community Outreach
- Public Health
- General Skills
- Social Services
Apply here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=111938
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
6873 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Spokane, WA 99201
May 20, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME