LGBTQ+ Youth Systems VISTA
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Spokane County United Way - AmeriCorps VISTA Program
Make safe, affirming spaces and services accessible to LGBTQ+ students in Spokane through community outreach!
Note: This is a full-time, one-year volunteer opportunity in partnership with AmeriCorps, S pokane County United Way, and Odyssey Youth Movement (OYM). All interested parties must apply via the My AmeriCorps portal to be considered for this role: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=111336.
- Conduct community outreach and needs assessment to identify existing resources for and unmet needs of LGBTQ+ students in Spokane high schools
- Identifying GSA groups and their status within area schools
- Curate a database of resources for youth-serving professionals and identify school policies which impact LGBTQ+ students and summarize in order to make them accessible and understandable to youth
- Develop a training curriculum for professionals and volunteers serving LGBTQ+ youth in Spokane’s high schools, informed by the needs assessment, with go-to guides for common questions when serving LGBTQ+ youth. These resources will provide guidelines for questions like: "What do I do if a student wants to change their name on school records?" and "Where can I send a student if they need gender-affirming clothing?"
This project is supervised by Odyssey Youth Movement (OYM), which is dedicated to promoting equity for LGBTQ+ youth in the Inland Northwest through youth-driven programs and community education. The goal of this project is to create a network of knowledgeable and connected student clubs and trusted adults throughout Spokane’s school systems that are equipped to have safe and affirming interactions with LGBTQ+ students throughout the school year. Access to affirming and LGBTQ+ supportive resources will move people out of poverty by removing barriers to the supports that currently exist in our community. Support of robust Gender & Sexuality Alliance (GSA) clubs in schools will work to pull students out of poverty by helping to ensure they keep regular attendance and succeed academically in an environment where they feel supported. Expanding networks of support through more visible and robust GSA student clubs, supporting the education of trusted adults, and overall access to school, community, and national resources will have a direct impact on combating the large disparities faced by LGBTQ+ students including school dropout rates, struggles with academics, and risk of suicide. With area schools likely returning to in person instruction soon, these upcoming years are crucial to make sure that LGBTQ+ students don’t slip through the cracks.
Benefits & Logistics:
This position is in Spokane County, Washington, about 20 miles west of Idaho and 110 miles south of the Canadian border. Benefits include:
- $575 biweekly living allowance
- Health coverage
- Choice of either a Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $6,195) or $1,800 cash stipend upon successful completion of service term
- Federal non-competitive eligibility, giving you an edge in the federal hiring process
- Access to the CliftonStrengths assessment
- Join a cohort of VISTA members throughout Spokane in professional and personal development opportunities
- Mileage reimbursement or a bus pass for service-related travel
- Grocery gift card
- Drop-in meals on weekdays
- Youth Development
- Community Outreach
Apply here: ht tps://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=111336
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
7093 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Spokane, WA 99201
May 20, 2022
- Human Resources Diversity
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME