Vigil & Comfort Care Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Heritage OnCare Hospice
Position: Vigil Volunteer
Reports To: Volunteer Coordinator
Job Description Summary
The vigil volunteer is a member of the interdisciplinary team with a desire to support patients and families in the hospice program through support at the time a patient is actively dying.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Provide support, comfort, reassurance and companionship to patients and caregivers
- Be a listener
- Sit with patients for extended periods of time 4-8 hours to provide respite to caregivers
- Hold hands, provide light comforting touch as requested
- Advocate for patients as needed
- Run errands, make phone calls, etc. for caregivers who do not wish to leave the patient’s bedside.
- Recording accurate, objective, timely documentation of volunteer activities
- Participates in relevant education activities to provide competent support to patients and caregivers and to promote professional growth.
- Ability to communicate well with people of diverse background and ages
- Applicable experience interacting with dying individuals and their families
- Comfortable with death and the dying process
- Able to respect confidentiality at all times
- Self-motivated, dependable and responsible
- Able to work independently
- Able to practice proper infection control
- Ability to maintain appropriate personal and professional boundaries
- Able to work in a changing environment
- Must be 18 years of age
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
16934 Frances Street200Omaha, NE 68130
May 19, 2022
- Public Advocacy