Jane Goodall Institute Youth Advisory Council
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: The Jane Goodall Institute of Canada
The Jane Goodall Institute of Canada (JGI) is seeking volunteers to join our Youth Advisory Council (YAC). This is an exciting opportunity for a young leader who aspires to make a positive difference for people, animals, and the environment by joining a globally recognized organization in conservation and youth engagement. The Council brings together a group of committed youth to help shape the programmatic direction of JGI’s Roots & Shoots (R&S) program. As a member of the Council, you will ensure the perspectives of youth are at the core of our R&S activities. The YAC will serve to amplify youth voices from coast to coast, with a focus on biodiversity loss, climate change, environmental inequity, and Indigenous perspectives. Council members will develop their leadership skills while connecting with like-minded young people across Canada who are passionate about protecting our planet and creating a better world for all.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT:
● Possibility to travel within Canada to Council Summits to meet fellow members and engage in experiential learning (COVID dependent);
● Opportunity to lead council-wide initiatives that are self-governed amongst members and supported professionally and financially by JGI Canada staff;
● Provide strategic guidance and a youth voice to our program development through collaboration with JGI Canada staff and representation at Roots & Shoots board committee meetings;
● Collaborate with some of Canada’s leading youth who are actively working towards sustainability, climate justice, and reconciliation.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
**All activities will be modified using virtual tools and online resources to respect the latest recommendations from Federal, Provincial, and Municipal governments for safety precautions in response to COVID-19.
● Promote R&S through outreach to schools and communities
● Represent R&S at public engagement events as appropriate
● Review the annual APE Fund (Animals, People, Environment) proposals from across Canada
● Develop ideas for campaigns and resources related to biodiversity loss, climate change, environmental inequity, and Indigenous perspectives
● Provide feedback to JGI Canada on development of programs, policies, and projects
● Attend online meetings (average once a month)
● Attend sub-committee meetings (as needed)
● Participate in capacity building and professional development workshops organized by JGI Canada
● Amplify voices of R&S youth through networking and engaging in youth-related provincial and national platforms
● Between the ages of 18-25
● Able to commit to 5-10 hours per month for the 12-month term
o If interested in a executive role expect to commit additional hours
● Passionate about sustainability issues, especially biodiversity loss, climate change, environmental inequity and Indigenous perspectives
● Interested in traveling within Canada (not mandatory)
o COVID-19 regulations considered - all travel costs covered by JGI Canada
● Strong communication and ability to present information in an engaging way
● Demonstrated leadership experience
JGI Canada is committed to equity, inclusivity, and meaningful youth engagement. We encourage BIPOC, 2SLGBTQ+, and youth from underserved communities to apply.
To Apply, submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Youth Advisory Council" in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Application deadline: May 22nd, 2022
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
7093 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
149 College StreetToronto, ON M5SCanada
May 18, 2022
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKENDS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH