ORGANIZATION: National Park Service
Please visit the new page to apply.
Colonial National Historical Park is looking for motivated individuals to join our team of maintenance and facilities volunteers! Positions available at both Yorktown and Jamestown.
Major Duties include but are not limited to:
- Performs simple and routine maintenance and repair of grounds, exterior structures, buildings, equipment, and related utilities.
- Assists higher graded maintenance workers or tradesmen in the performance of their work.
- Performs minor carpentry repairs using simple measures and hand tools on such tasks as replacing broken planks on picnic tables; broken windows using precut stock; minor adjustments or replaces hinges, latches and catches.
- Performs minor painting using brush and roller according to specific instructions on projects where appearances are not critical such as staining picnic tables and trash barrels.
- Operates a light truck to pick up supplies and to transport materials to and from work sites while assisting on project work.
- Driving government passenger or 4x4 vehicles.
- Enjoys working with park staff and other volunteers
- Willingness to complete tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision and as part of a team for extended periods of time.
- Knowledge of simple and common trade practices.
- Ability to use simple hand tools such as hammer, saw, brush and roller, screwdriver, wrench, electric drill/saw and other power tools in a safe and acceptable manner.
- Ability to safely use riding mower, weed eater, tractor, etc.
- Ability to operate light vehicles and equipment such as pick-up truck.
Special Requirements : (ex. required training or certifications)
- Volunteer will be required to work outdoors in various weather climates.
- Must be able perform moderate physical activities with no challenges. Duties require sitting, standing, or walking for extended periods of time. Some duties may also require strenuous physical activity such as lifting, and carrying heavy items over rugged, precipitous, and sometimes unstable terrain.
- Must be able to feel comfortable using riding power, weed eater, tractor, hammer, saw, brush and roller, screwdriver, wrench, electric drill/saw and other hand/power tools.
- Must follow CDC guidelines for COVID-19 including: Avoid close contact, wear face covering if not vaccinated, wash hands thoroughly and frequently .
Start Date - 2022-06-20
End Date - 2023-06-20
Activities include: Construction/Maintenance;General Assistance;Historical Preservation
Hosts Housing Amenities: No Housing/Amenities Available
525 More opportunities with National Park Service10 Reviews
About National Park Service
1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC 20240, US
The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations. The Park Service cooperates with partners to extend the benefits of natural and cultural resource conservation and outdoor recreation throughout this country and the world.
The U.S. National Park Service, www.nps.gov, cares for special places saved by the American people so that all may experience our heritage. We care for more than 400 national parks and help communities preserve their historic places and open spaces.
1000 Colonial ParkwayYorktown, VA 23690
June 1, 2023