9 people are interested
Architect/Architectural Designer (Remote-Americas)
ORGANIZATION: African Development Choices
Please visit the new page to apply.
9 people are interested
African Development Choices (ADC) is a UK-based Social Enterprise on a mission to reduce poverty by empowering communities to make more informed choices in the management of public finances.
ADC’s purpose is to enable communities to independently meet their needs for essential services, such as clean water and sanitation and improve lives in Africa.
At ADC we encourage a working culture of seeking and giving input, showing and taking initiative, and commitment to the organisation and its purpose.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a volunteer Architect/Architectural Designer based out of the Americas to join ADC.
Main purpose of job: To work with other architects to lead the design of preliminary drawings, working drawings and full detail drawings for architectural, structural and mechanical works associated with construction projects.
Division: Social Impact
Position reports to: (Line manager) Senior Architect
Position is responsible for: (Direct reports) N/A
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in conducting preliminary studies of projects to obtain information as to space and design requirements, obtaining measurements and making preliminary layouts and sketches
- Prepare and review architectural plans and specifications ensuring compliance with industry standards, local building codes, laws and regulations
- Design innovative buildings that improve quality of life in local communities
- Design structures that match the brief and are functional, sustainable, easy to maintain, and aesthetically pleasing
- Work closely with a team of local and international professionals such as architects, construction project managers, quantity surveyors and building service engineers
- Provide guidance to local contractors like builders, plumbers, and electricians, and helping them interpret design specifications for quality control and assurance · Research and maintain knowledge of local building materials, building codes and building practices
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Highly skilled and experienced in architectural design principles, standards, and codes
- Excellent design and drafting skills and access to your own computer-aided design (CAD) and other relevant software.
- Proficient using Revit and AutoCAD
- Awareness and appreciation of using design for social impact
- Ability to actively take initiative and help set things up in a start-up environment
- Ability to actively seek and give input in a collaborative team environment
- A committed team player with good communication skills
- Available to volunteer at least 7-10 hours a week
- Experience working in an early stage start up and gone through a scaling phase
- Passion for the start-up life and comfortable in a role with a little ambiguity
- Experience collaborating with teams in different geographical locations
What ADC Offers You:
This is a volunteer, remote and unpaid position with the following benefits:
- Professional learning and career development opportunities
- An opportunity to build on your work experience within your profession
- An opportunity to be part of a diverse team representing different parts of the world that is helping to deliver systemic social change in Africa
- An opportunity to help shape a start-up social enterprise
- We provide work reference
This job description is a written statement of the essential characteristics of the job, with its principal accountabilities, incorporating a note of the skills, knowledge and experience required for a satisfactory level of performance. This is not intended to be a complete, detailed account of all aspects of the duties involved.
Here at African Development Choices, we celebrate diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our teams are made up of people from all over the world and we welcome all applications. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition, and you require any reasonable adjustments for your application with us, please let us know by contacting email@example.com.
About African Development Choices
Kemp House, 160 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX, GB
Our mission is to reduce poverty by empowering communities to make more informed choices in the management of public resources.
African Development Choices (ADC) is a UK-based Social Enterprise on a mission to reduce poverty in Africa by empowering local communities and their leaders to make more informed choices in the management of public resources so that they can independently meet their own needs for essential services. Improving public resources management is key to establishing a sustainable society. And increasing access to essential services, such as clean water and sanitation, is key to fighting poverty because lack of access to essential services is a root cause of poverty.
We achieve this using our unique approach to reduce poverty as follows:
- Set better precedent
- Raise expectations
- Increase public participation
- Improve management of public resources
- Increase access to essential services
By delivering access to essential services through our donor-funded community projects, we set better precedents in the management of public resources and the delivery of essential services. Then we raise expectations through education and support and mobilise communities to play an active and informed role in the management of public resources so that they can enact change for themselves. We achieve this by sharing information from our projects that provides a new perspective. It’s not the information that empowers communities to participate; it’s raised expectations from a new perspective.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
May 12, 2022
- 7-10 hours per week