Summer Camp Counselor - Camp Hope
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Rose Andom Center
Volunteer Title: Camp Hope Counselor
Supervisor: Volunteer Coordinator
Location: Camp Shadybrook, Deckers, CO
Hours: Monday, August 8 th - Saturday, August 13 th
Compensation: $250 stipend, food and lodging, support accessing outdoor gear as needed
Description: The Rose Andom Center is a single, safe place where survivors of domestic violence can receive services and resources. A new program was launched in 2021 to also serve children who have witnessed or been impacted by violence. Called Pathways to Hope and Camp Hope, the program involves year-round community building activities and a one week sleep away camp during the summer. We are looking for counselors ages 17 - 24 to join us for our first camp the week of August 8 th - 13 th at Camp Shadybrook near Deckers, Colorado. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn leadership skills, give back, mentor youth, network with peers, and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Be first point of contact for group of 6-8 youth participants for the full week of camp
- Stay in cabin or yurt with Hope Group, attend meals and activities together, build community
- Provide enthusiasm and positivity, be a cheerleader
- Engage participants in daily mindfulness and hope statement activities at set times
- Lead songs, skits, and conversations throughout the day and at evening meetings
- Use empathy, challenge by choice, and trauma informed care to encourage participants to experience new activities and build relationships
- Have fun, network, make friends, enjoy the outdoors!
- Bi-lingual Spanish highly preferred
- 17 - 24 years old
- Team oriented, flexible, ready to step in where needed
- Experience caring for, supervising, or mentoring youth, esp. in an outdoor or summer camp setting
- Comfortable engaging in outdoor, craft, and camp activities incl. water sports and ropes course
- Ability to remain calm and collected in a variety of situations
- Prepared to hear difficult stories of physical, verbal, and emotional abuse
- Excellent self-care and mindfulness skills
- Able to be mobile for 60+ minutes at a time, carry 20+ lbs
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurringFalse
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1330 Fox StreetDenver, CO 80204
May 5, 2022