Remote/ Online Mentor African Students in IT, Media, Web Development or Graphic Design
ORGANIZATION: Learning Lions
Please visit the new page to apply.
Help to fight unemployment in rural areas of Kenya by teaching and mentoring highly motivated students in web development, graphic design, animation, project management and other skills!
GOAL OF THE PROJECT
The goal of the Startup Lions project is to empower young adults to become entrepreneurs on the global digital market as webdevelopers, designers and animators. For its high degree of social innovation, the project has been selected as the Google Impact Challenge Winner in Africa in 2018.
Rural areas across Africa (such as Turkana, North Kenya) often have poor infrastructure, limited access to markets, very few formal job opportunities, and consequently suffer from high levels of unemployment and little opportunity for moving out of poverty. Turkana in particular has infertile soil that does not support sustainable agriculture, with the majority of food supplies having to be transported from cities several hours away. Local businesses including basket weaving, mechanical repairs and small kiosks exist, however none of these scale to provide widespread employment opportunities or meaningful wages. And yet, with around 900.000 inhabitants, Turkana holds an untapped potential of human talent with the chance of having internet access even in some of the most remote areas.
Our program is structured into three subsequent units:
- "Learning Lions" trains talented and motivated young adults with high value skills in the areas of webdevelopment, graphic design and animation.
- The students from the educational program are then invited to stay on campus as trainees of "Digital Lions", our fairtrade IT-outsourcing agency. Here, they start working with international customers and gather hands-on business experience.
- When the Lions feel confident in the contact with clients, the incubator "Startup Lions" provides them with the necessary funds and tools so that they can launch their own start-up and become economically independent.
As part of the non-profit program you would dedicate your time to train young adults in your specific area of expertise. Your ultimate goal will be to reduce the high unemployment rate in impoverished rural areas of Eastern Africa by teaching the selected "Lions" applicable ICT & media skills. Thanks to your dedication you will enable talented and motivated young adults to work and live a better life full of perspective in their region of origin.
You will be working with bright young minds coming from villages of the Turkana region (the poorest region in Kenya) aged between 18 and 25 years old. We select the students not based on their school grades but using a two hour IQ test. Of 1000 participants we choose only the best 50 to become part of the program.
- Have profound and proven skills in 2d/3d animation, web development, programming, graphic design, film, or music
- Have project management, business administration, finance, or agriculture-related skills
- Have social media, sales or customer relationship management skills
- Want to use your skills to help others
- Can commit to a few hours of time per week on a regular, ongoing basis
- Are able to mentor a small team of bright young minds
- Think positive and like to work in teams
- Are willing to experience a completely different culture
...then this could be the ideal volunteer program for you!
Different Fields of Teaching
- Web Development, Software Development, Mobile Application Development
- Graphic Design (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Database management (e.g SQL)
- Animation (2D/3D)
- Digital Video and Film Production (Premiere, After Effects)
- Digital Sound and Music Production (Cubase, Audition)
- Project Management
Further we are also looking for Project Managers for our follow-up program Digital Lions (fair trade sales agency) as well as support in business operations, finance, and organizational topics for our holding company.
Check out our organization in Lodwar, Kenia, our vision and mission on YouTube!
Or visit our organization’s website!
Feel free to contact us!
About Learning Lions
P.O BOX 344, Lodwar, Turkana 30500, KE
Learning Lions is an academy that teaches young adults to use technology to earn a decent living. That way outsourcing to Africa finally becomes a viable option.
Learning Lions is a non-profit program that selects, educates and trains young adults living outside urban areas with few job opportunities in high-value skills like software development, graphic design and media production. It is focused on hands-on skills taught by volunteers from around the world that can immediately be used to generate income online. Our follow up program Startup Lions (www.startuplions.org) then helps our trained "Lions" to use the skills they acquired in the training to create their own business in our lakeside IT-Hub, while we source clients for them from around the world.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
May 4, 2022
- Sales Marketing
- Website Programming
- Website Project Management
- Web Design
- Software Development
- Graphic Design
- Must be at least 28
- It would be preferable if you could dedicate at least a few hours per week on a regular, ongoing basis. Yet, we are of course aware that this is not your main job and are therefore flexible with regard to your time commitment.