5 people are interested
Tissue Bank Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: The Life Raft Group
Please visit the new page to apply.
5 people are interested
The Data Management and Research team is seeking the help of a volunteer for up to 10 hours per week until the end of 2022 to assist in our tissue testing initiative program. We offer free mutational testing to all patients residing in the US that have never received mutational testing or that have received a "wildtype" result without an advanced genomic test. The volunteer will help with the following:
- Follow up with patients to gather signed consent forms
- Call pathology departments to request tissue retrieval
- Send requisition forms to patient’s physician and acquire signature
- Coordinate tissue transfer with Data Management and Research Associate
- Contact patients via phone or email to update information
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Advanced organizational skills. Attention to detail to ensure accuracy. Familiarity with very basic medical terminology. · Basic computer skills (Microsoft Excel, Word, Internet Navigation)
About The Life Raft Group
155 US Highway 46, Suite 202, Wayne, NJ 07470, US
The mission of the Life Raft Group is to enhance survival and quality of life for people living with GIST through patient-powered research, education and empowerment, and global advocacy efforts.
The Life Raft Group (LRG) started in 2000, when a handful of patients in the early Gleevec trials began sharing their experiences online. Many patients had been misdiagnosed with leiomyosarcoma and were just now finding out they had an entirely different cancer - gastrointestinal stromal tumor, or GIST. Sharing their stories and experiences online helped them in a variety of ways, including gaining much-needed support while facing a rare disease and managing the side-effects of a new drug. In the next two years, this group formed a newsletter and Web site to share information with an even wider audience, before formally incorporating in June 2002. Over the years, the Life Raft Group has grown immensely, meeting the challenges facing GIST patients and caregivers and the research community every step of the way.
The Life Raft Group's (LRG) vision is to champion patient-powered science and drastically increase long-term survivorship for all cancer patients. To accomplish this, we rely on four key pillars;
- Leverage the patient perspective to drive innovative solutions in cancer research
- Educate and empower patients to take a larger role in their care
- Accelerate research outcomes through collaborative efforts
- Increase access to effective treatments worldwide
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
May 3, 2022
- Case Work / Management
- Patient Care
- People Skills
- Up to 10 hours per week
- Volunteer needed until end of 2022 year