DONATE TO THIS
1 person is interested
Volunteer Social Worker or Social Work Intern
ORGANIZATION: AGASSIZ VILLAGE FOUNDED BY MR & MRS HARRY E BURROUGHS
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
1 person is interested
Work with a licensed social worker to monitor the emotional wellbeing of all campers and support the staff in the camp community during the camp session by assisting individuals to eliminate or replace negative behaviors with appropriate and positive actions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in staff training and assist in understanding the behavioral challenges and expectations of the campers.
- Assist in providing education to staff during orientation and pre-camp training that will help them to positively respond to behavioral issues.
- Review camper files for the purpose of assessing and anticipating specific individual needs.
- Help in Identify individual needs of campers and discuss behavioral plans with camp counselors prior to the campers’ arrival.
- Observe and interact with campers and staff to promote a positive experience at camp.
- Work one-on-one with campers who are having trouble participating in the program.
- Provide group support in the cabin setting when necessary, including assisting with bullying and helping the campers to support each other as part of a cabin group.
- Intervene if campers are experiencing significant behavioral challenges.
- Help campers and staff resolve conflicts appropriately.
- Provide support and guidance to staff as they deal with camper’s behavior problems.
- Be available to step into situations that may arise during the camp and provide necessary assistance to the camper prior to allowing the camper to return to activities.
- Assist in consulting and guiding staff to monitor the overall emotional and social wellbeing of the community.
- Provide emotional support to staff as they deal with personal challenges.
- Aid in mediating staff conflicts and help monitor staff morale.
- Be available to contact parents with the Camp Director to address observed problem behaviors and/or campers’ failure to adapt to camp setting.
- Assist in communicating to parents along with Camp Director regarding potential camp dismissal.
- Keep Camp Director informed of all situations and issues as they arise and provide daily updates through informal conversation and formal documentation.
- Document any verbal and written communication as requested.
- As a mandated reporter, assist Camp Director with appropriate calls to social services.
- Suitable for a student in Social Work / Counseling / or Psychology and have previous experience working with children and/or young adults.
- Comfortable working in an outdoor setting where campers and staff live and experience developing a positive community and active camp activities. Work hours may vary.
- Willing and able to work as part of a team.
- Understand at-risk youth.
- Excellent verbal communications skills.
- Possess the following qualities: patience, compassion, fairness, listening skills, and the ability to relate to children.
About Agassiz Village:Agassiz Village is a nonprofit that provides opportunities for children in underserved communities from Massachusetts to Maine. For 86 years, our 330 acre overnight summer camp in Poland, Maine has provided a unique learning program that challenges kids to discover interests, uncover new skills, make lifetime friendships, and connect with inspiring mentors. The skills kids learn at camp and through our year round high school program, help them thrive in school, college and beyond.
About AGASSIZ VILLAGE FOUNDED BY MR & MRS HARRY E BURROUGHS
185 Dean St., Suite 206, Norwood, MA 02420, US
Agassiz Village is a youth development nonprofit organization with a mission to "prepare kids for life's journey." For more than 85 years, Agassiz Village has inspired thousands of kids from under-resourced communities in greater Boston and greater Portland to reach their full potential. Each summer, kids are immersed in our summer camp environment in Maine where kids discover who they are now and who they can become through a social, emotional and leadership program mixed with a lot of good old-fashioned fun. Many of the kids attending our camp learn to swim or its their first time in a canoe. Agassiz specializes in serving kids from families with parents who may be incarcerated, kids living without a parent or in foster care, kids who have faced trauma in their lives and kids from low-income families. In 2021 to better serve our community, Agassiz Village added a new year-round program for teens to support them through high-school and to become career/college ready.
We offer children a fun, safe overnight summer camp experience that allows them to develop and practice leadership and life skills--a transformative experience that impacts their futures in education, family, career, and community.
71 Agassiz Village LanePoland, ME 04274
April 28, 2022
- Mental Health
- Case Work / Management
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Life Coaching
- Social Work