Peer Support Group Facilitator
ORGANIZATION: CHOICES IN HEALING AND RECOVERY INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
Peer Support Group Facilitator volunteer opportunity is open to adults 18+ who are in substance use recovery and interested in alternatives to AA / NA. Our peer support group is the: CHOICES Trauma Informed 12 Steps Peer Support Group!! The groups are held once per week on different days of the week but daytime and evening. Currently they will be held via Zoom and when safe we will add in person! More about the group:
CHOICES Trauma Informed 12 Steps
1. Admitted we were addicted to alcohol and/or drugs- that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could help us to become empowered.
3. Made a decision to let go of our attempts to control and asked: What would my Higher Power want for me today?
4. Made a list of our behaviors and patterns that had caused us and others harm, at a pace that was emotionally safe for us.
5. Admitted to our Higher Power, to ourselves and to another human being our list of behaviors and patterns that had caused us and others harm, at a pace that was emotionally safe for us.
6. Became ready to allow our Higher Power to guide us in releasing behaviors that no longer serve us.
7. Humbly asked our Higher Power to help us accept our human imperfections.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing internally to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them, others or ourselves.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and responsibility for our mistakes, and promptly admitted them.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with the Higher Power of our understanding, asking ourselves: What would my Higher Power want for me today? And the empowerment to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to share our stories to support others, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Welcome to the CHOICES Trauma Informed 12 Steps Peer Support Group, a program of CHOICES in Healing & Recovery, Inc. Both CHOICES in Healing & Recovery, Inc. and the Trauma Informed 12 Steps are independent; we have no affiliation with AA, NA or any 12 step program or entity.
The CHOICES Trauma Informed 12 Steps Peer Support Group welcomes adults 18+, living with substance use disorders whether you choose abstinence, moderation or harm reduction from alcohol & drug use; medication assisted treatment for substance use such as methadone, suboxone or vivitrol; or take prescribed psychiatric medication for a mental health diagnosis.
CHOICES! In name and mission.
Some of us have histories of trauma which impacted the development of our substance use disorders. In this group naming the type of trauma we have experienced is welcome and honored, such as "I am a survivor of domestic violence or sexual assault, a war veteran or survived a hurricane." As survivors of trauma, we engage gently with ourselves and others by holding the sharing of specific details of our trauma, and of our substance use, for outside of this group with a trusted professional, loved one or friend. This Trauma informed peer support group promotes healing and empowerment to prevent re-traumatization.
If our mission inspires you, we would love you to join us for our Peer Support Group Facilitator Tranining!
About CHOICES IN HEALING AND RECOVERY INC
1629 K St NW, Suite 300, WASHINGTON, DC 20003, US
Our core mission at CHOICES in Healing & Recovery, Inc. is to provide trauma informed care in behavioral health. CHOICES welcomes adults living with mental health & substance use disorders whether they choose abstinence, moderation or harm reduction from alcohol, drugs & behaviors, a non-spiritual/secular, or spiritual recovery model; to take mental health or substance use disorder medication, reduce or discontinue. CHOICES! In name and mission: through trauma informed peer support group alternatives, peer workshops and leadership training, and clinical supervision & CEU training for providers.
- Founded the CHOICES Trauma Informed 12 Steps Peer Support Group
- Provide the Steps or Stepping Stones workshop to support empowered choices in substance use recovery
- Developed a resource website of alternatives to AA & NA
- Offer peer leadership training opportunities for adults with lived experience of substance use disorders
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
April 26, 2022
- Mental Health
- Case Work / Management
- Crisis Counseling
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Social Work
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training