ORGANIZATION: GATHER NEW HAVEN
Please visit the new page to apply.
Position Description: We are looking for Gardening Instructors to lead the gardening activities on program evenings for 20 minutes from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm on Tuesday & Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings from 10:15 am-11:00 am beginning 5/17/22 up to 9/01/22. Gardening Instructors can sign up for as many sessions as they are interested in attending, there is no minimum of session required. The Gardening Instructor must be comfortable to instruct a predominantly Spanish group on Tuesdays, however a translator will be on site each day. The program will take place at the following locations within the city of New Haven: Tuesday: 15 James st., Thursday: 170 Ward st. & Saturday: 613 Ferry st.
The goal is to provide participants with an experience that will help them learn how to garden on their own once they have gone through the summer program. The gardening activity will be oriented toward an adult audience with diet-related illnesses, which could include but not be limited to excess weight, prediabetes, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. The abilities of the program participants may vary, so it is important to find a way to engage participants of all abilities. We are open to creative suggestions, but ultimately we want it to be a fun and engaging activity for 20 minutes. This position requires a commitment of 1-3 hours per week on the assigned week.
Required Skills: We are looking for an individual with:
- Previous farm/gardening experience;
- Enthusiasm and strong interest in working with our audience;
- Previous experience instructing exercise groups with 4+ participants (not required but favored);
- Ability to motivate participants to exercise at a level they feel comfortable;
- Bilingual: Spanish & English on Tuesdays & Saturdays (not required but favored).
Supervisors: This position will be supervised by the program manager, any questions or concerns regarding program implementation will be directed toward the program manager, Peter Zapata. This is a volunteer position sponsored by Gather New Haven. Any questions or concerns regarding financial reimbursement will be directed toward the executive director, Brent Peterkin.
Dates & times: Participants will have their orientation on the 10th and 12th of May for Spanish (Tuesday) and English (Thursday), respectively. The first week of programming is the following week, the 17th & 19th of May during the weekdays; the 21st will be the first Saturday program. The program will run for 16 consecutive weeks during the summer season through the first week of September. The last week of programming will not include regular Saturday programming.
The time of the program will be from 5:30pm -7:30pm, the time allotted for gardening will be from 5:30pm - 5:50pm Tuesday and Thursday. Saturday from 10:15am to 11am.
Tuesday program (Spanish) Thursday program (English)
- May 17 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- May 24 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- May 31 st from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- June 7 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- June 14 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- June 21 st from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- June 28 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- July 5 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- May 19 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- May 26 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- June 2 nd from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- June 9 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- June 16 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- June 23 rd from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- June 30 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- July 7 th from 55:30 pm-5:50 pm
- July 12 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- July 19 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- July 26 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- August 2 nd from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- August 9 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- August 16 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- August 23 rd from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- August 30 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- July 14 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- July 21 st from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- July 28 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- August 4 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- August 11 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- August 18 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- August 25 th from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- September 1 st from 5:30 pm-5:50 pm
- May 21 st from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- May 28 st from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- June 4 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- June 11 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- June 18 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- June 25 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- July 2 nd from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- July 9 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- July 16 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- July 23 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- July 30 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- August 6 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- August 13 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- August 20 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
- August 27 th from 10:15 am to 11:00 am
Application Details: Applicants should email email@example.com with the subject "GARDENING INSTRUCTOR". A cover letter (limited to one page) may be included describing your interest and qualification for the position, this is not required but helpful. Applications will be received and reviewed on a rolling basis. There is no deadline to apply. If applicants have additional questions about the position, they may reach out to Peter via email or by calling 203-516-7270.
Farm-Based Wellness Program: The Farm-Based Wellness Program (FBWP) is an intensive lifestyle intervention program that primarily receives patient referrals from local clinics in the New Haven area with diet-related illnesses to participate in a 16 week summer program where they are engaged in gardening activities, mindfulness, nutrition education, and a whole food plant-based nutrition recipe demonstration. The program continues throughout the remainder of the year on a monthly basis for participants to continue to receive support and motivation to reach their self-contrived nutrition and physical activity related goals. After the year is over, participants are encouraged to stay engaged through social media and/or community events. They are also encouraged to cultivate food at one of their local community gardens.
Gather New Haven: Gather New Haven is focused on cultivating strong and varied experiences that connect communities to nature. Our mission drives us to be good stewards of the natural environment and strengthen community well-being.
Our work involves managing and supporting green spaces, including community gardens, urban micro-farms, and nature preserves, while also leading impactful programs that focus on health and wellness, positive youth development, and environmental education. Nature heals, inspires, informs, and sustains our communities.
About GATHER NEW HAVEN
817 GRAND AVE STE 102, NEW HAVEN, CT 06511, US
Gather New Haven promotes health, equity, and justice for people and the environment by cultivating connections with each other and our local lands and waters, and by inspiring us to care for ourselves, our community, and the natural world.
Gather New Haven is a non-profit, 501(c)3 organization located in New Haven, CT, committed to social and environmental justice. Gather New Haven promotes health, equity and justice for people and the environment by cultivating connections and access to our lands and waters and by inspiring us to care for our wellbeing, our shared community, and our environment.
15 James StreetNew Haven, CT 06513
April 22, 2022
- Environmental Education
- Must be at least 18
- This position requires a commitment of 1-3 hours per week throughout the duration of the program.