7 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: Louisiana Children's Museum
Please visit the new page to apply.
7 people are interested
A commitment to a full week or session of camp is required. Volunteers may sign up for more than one camp.
8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Optional additional hours
Before care: 8 am -8:30 am
Aftercare: 3:30 pm - 5 pm
Volunteer Manager, Health/Wellness & Camp Director, and Camp Counselors
The Camp Volunteer is responsible for supporting the Camp Counselor and Health/Wellness & Camp Director in facilitating daily camp activities providing playful, enriching, hands-on learning experiences for Museum campers with necessary set-up and clean-up. This includes themed programming, time outside, in exhibits, snacks, lunch, and before/after care. The Camp Volunteer must show leadership and accountability and may be able to take a lead role in certain camp activities. The Camp Volunteer will work to create a fun, educational, and safe space for the campers while taking direction from the Camp Counselor and Health/Wellness & Camp Director.
- Follow all volunteer policies as outlined in the Volunteer Handbook.
- Assist and support camp staff in maintaining a safe environment for guests.
- Engage campers in activities throughout the grounds and as assigned.
- Motivate campers to learn through play.
- Know pertinent facts about the Museum.
- Use appropriate communication skills to interact with campers, Parents/Caregivers of campers, other volunteers, all LCM Staff, and visitors.
- Coordinate with Camp Counselor.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Steps to Becoming a Volunteer
- Interview. After you fill out the application, the Volunteer Manager will reach out to you informing you of your application's status. If successful, you will be asked to sign up for an interview.
- November Camp: Last timeslot for an interview for camp will be Sunday, October 30th at 3pm.
- December Camps: Last timeslot for an interview for camp will be Sunday, December 11th at 3pm.
- Reference Check. We ask that you provide LCM a non-family member as a reference to both your work ethic and personal character.
- Volunteer Tryout Day. You are given a day to try volunteering at LCM. This allows both you and us to see if we are a good fit for each other. During this day, you will accompany a staff member as they facilitate play in the museum.
- November Camp: The last day to attend a Volunteer Tryout Day is Sunday, November 6th.
- December Camps: The last day to attend a Volunteer Tryout Day is Sunday, December 11th.
- New Volunteer Orientation. If all goes well, you will need to complete New Volunteer Orientation.
- November Camp Orientation will be held Sunday, November 13th at 9:30 am.
- December Camps Orientation will be held Sunday, December 18th at 9:30 am.
08:30 PM to 03:30 PM
Optional: Morning Care (Starts at 8) and Aftercare (ends at 5)
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Louisiana Children's Museum
15 Henry Thomas Drive, New Orleans, LA 70124, US
Louisiana Children’s Museum contributes to the area’s future prosperity by engaging in children’s potential and making that potential visible. Through play, shared explorations, and in dialogue with adults, LCM connects children to each other, adults, and their environments and communities.
The Louisiana Children's Museum was founded in 1986. The museum was located in the Warehouse District until 2019, when we opened our new 8.5 acre location in City Park! Our gallery spaces focus on Literacy, Environment, Arts & Culture, and Health & Wellness. Louisiana Children's Museum promotes hands-on, participatory learning for children ages birth to 8 years. Encouraging discovery through observation, inquiry, creative construction, role-playing, problem-solving, and free-play, the Museum motivates children to develop their cognitive, physical and social skills while enjoying fruitful interaction with adults and peers.
Do you like fun and the sound of laughter? How about helping kids discover their immense potential? Louisiana Children's Museum welcomes volunteers for a wide range of roles including assisting with learning and play experiences our galleries, education programs, special events, admin, maintenance and other roles! We currently have youth (15+) and adult volunteer opportunities.
15 Henry Thomas DrCity ParkNew OrleansNew Orleans, LA 70124
October 15, 2022
- Child Care
- Child Development
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- So that our campers may become familiar with those running the camp, we ask that volunteers commit to the whole week of camp.
- Volunteers must be at least 14 and must be enrolled in or graduated from 9th grade. Those 18+ must pass a background check.