- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Become a science or math teacher in California
Please visit the new page to apply.
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Recruiting Organization: EnCorps, Inc.
Have you considered a career in teaching science, math, engineering or technology (STEM)? EnCorps STEM Teachers Program transitions accomplished career-changers to teaching middle and high school in California’s high need schools through a 1-2 year Fellowship. We are actively seeking our next cohort of aspiring middle and high school teachers who have previous industry experience. As an EnCorps STEM Teaching Fellow, you will have the opportunity to use your leadership and industry experience to inspire the next generation by working as a full-time salaried teacher in an EnCorps partner school.
Racial and socioeconomic achievement gaps persist in our schools today. There is a 26% or greater gap in math achievement between white students and students of color. We believe in the power of STEM to offer opportunities to students who need it most. You can change this by becoming a STEM teacher.
EnCorps STEM Teachers Program’s vision is to realize a day where all students, regardless of socioeconomic status, are inspired and prepared to pursue their dreams. STEM Teaching Fellows transition to teaching careers within 1-3 years with the support of EnCorps training, guest teaching field experience, credentialing guidance, EnCorps cohort and the EnCorps network of schools. When you become an EnCorps Fellow, you are committing to providing access to quality education within low income schools, supporting students who need your mentorship the most.
The EnCorps team will provide guidance as you begin the process to become a credentialed teacher. Additionally, the broad network of fellows provides first hand experience from people who, like you, transitioned into a teaching career.
- Fellows earn their credential from a university partner over the course of 4-14 months
- EnCorps will place you in a local partner school for 1 semester where you will spend 2-5 hours per week as a volunteer Guest Teacher
- Fellows train online/on-demand and at 3 in-person cohort events each year by participating in enhanced skills preparation workshops
- Fellows receive extensive support and mentoring from the EnCorps staff, their cohort, and EnCorps’ network of schools
- With the help of EnCorps, you will develop your unique timeline to become a credentialed, paid teacher, in as little as 9 months, or 3 years depending on your personal goals.
*Find out more about the timeline and teaching credentials at https://encorps.org/teaching-fellowship/
- Have a bachelor's degree
- Have at least 1 year of hands-on STEM industry work experience or have an advanced degree in a STEM field*
- Financial plan to pursue your credential and participate in unpaid Guest Teaching Training for one semester
For more specific eligibility and FAQ’s, please see https://www.encorps.org/teaching-fellowship/eligibility
*Looking for backgrounds in: Accounting, finance, banking, mathematics, statistics, data analyst, computer programmer, IT, coding, product manager, engineering (civil, mechanical, ALL), healthcare, scientific research, biotech, lab work, etc.
EnCorps’ Diversity Statement
At EnCorps, we challenge current educational inequalities by connecting high needs schools with high quality STEM educators to eliminate the systemic injustice preventing children of color from entering the future STEM workforce. By recruiting, training and supporting diverse and committed STEM professionals to volunteer and teach in communities most impacted by oppressive systems, we are able to provide opportunities and access to quality STEM education. We will continue to create learning opportunities that challenge assumptions and push our team to transform practices that better serve students in the communities we serve.
Want to empower students and inspire the next generation of STEM leaders? Join EnCorps today!
Hear from an EnCorps Teaching Fellow on why they made the transition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waf-mAvcNjM
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
El Segundo, CA 90278
April 21, 2022