3 people are interested
CHESS IS BACK! In-person Summer Chess Camps in San Jose, Palo Alto, and Menlo Park
ORGANIZATION: BAY AREA CHESS INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
3 people are interested
Chess is back! In-person Summer Chess Camp Volunteers needed in San Jose, Palo Alto, Menlo Park with Bay Area Chess.
BayAreaChess is one of the most successful chess organizations in the US & the foremost 501(c)(3) non-profit chess organization on the West Coast. Named 2018 Chess Club of the Year by the US Chess Federation, BayAreaChess is the #1 USCF affiliate west of Texas for more than 10 years running (2008-2021).
Sometimes, kids simply need a word of encouragement. You can make the difference in the experience of a child in one of our chess camps.
As a Chess Camp volunteer, you will be an integral part of our kids day. Your main responsibilities will be to help supervise kids in our program, both in class and on breaks. You may be asked to:
- help greet kids (and their parents) as they arrive and bring them to a table/pair them with a partner to start playing chess.
- play games with kids when appropriate (if a coach asks you to)
- walk around the room looking to help kids who need help
- help coaches maintain order in the room and minimize distractions during chess lessons
- set up/clean up/sanitize chess boards and pieces
- set up/assist/clean up tournament games
- set up/assist/clean up pre-set puzzle positions as requested
- set out/clean up refreshments
- supervise kids en route to/at/returning from break
- some advanced volunteers may be provided opportunities to help facilitate lessons/puzzles/etc. (not required)
- other duties as directed by coaches
- enjoy yourself while helping kids learn chess and have fun
- As a volunteer, you represent BAC. As such, your professionalism is very important. We rely on you to be on time and always focused on your assigned job at hand. Please direct your attention to the campers and the coaches.
- Responding to a shift on VolunteerMatch DOES NOT SIGN YOU UP for that shift; it simply notifies us of your interest in a particular shift. Please contact us for instructions on how to sign up for shifts on our Track it Forward reservations system.
- We will always do our best to accommodate as many volunteers as possible, but on rare occasions, we may have to make a change to your shift, even though you were able to sign up for it on the trackitforward.com reservations site. All volunteer assignments are considered tentative until approved/confirmed by us via email/text. We reserve the right to deny/modify your volunteer registration to match our needs. (Some of those needs may include: adjusting staffing to match registration numbers and venue limitations, requesting reassignment of volunteers with particular skills/experience/needs/situations to specific camp locations/days/times, providing other volunteers a more balanced opportunity to volunteer, etc.) Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
- You will have to be approved to volunteer at camps. As with all of our coaching staff, if you are age 18 or older, you may be required to be fingerprinted and have a background check completed prior to being assigned to volunteer at a camp. We will contact you if necessary.
- If you are under 16 years old, we will need your parent's permission for you to volunteer.
- You, or your parent if appropriate, will need to submit any necessary agreement/release forms prior to your volunteer shift.
- Avoid physical contact with campers, volunteers, or staff.
- If you wish to volunteer all day, please sign up for both a morning and afternoon shift if available. You will need to take a 30 minute lunch break in the middle of the day (not at 1PM, which is a busy transition time during which time your assistance will be needed.) Your all-day shift will be 8 hours from 8:45AM-5:15PM plus a 30 minute break.
- Notify a coach/staff member IMMEDIATELY if any problem arises with you or any participant during camp.
Afternoon Shift 12:45-5:15PM (4.5 hours)
Please be sure to turn off your phone and refrain from using it during your shift as well as socializing with other volunteers/staff during your shift.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About BAY AREA CHESS INC
2050 CONCOURSE DR STE 42, SAN JOSE, CA 95131, US
Mission: Provide everyone with enjoyable activities that develop intellectual, mathematical, analytical, visual, & personal skills. Motto: "Transforming lives through chess."
BayAreaChess started as a parent volunteer organization when our founder’s son moved to a school with a low-quality, high-cost commercial program. Our work was so successful other parents requested programs at their schools. We quickly evolved from a local chess club into a truly professional organization by applying sound business practices to support our rapid growth. We disrupted chess enrichment, transforming chess coaching from part-time contract gig to viable career as employees w/ benefits & HR support. While COVID suspended/closed chess clubs nationwide, we pioneered online offerings & grew. After 15 years, we are one of the most successful chess organizations in the US & the foremost 501(c)(3) non-profit chess organization on the West Coast. Still, our core values remain unchanged: treat all children like we would treat our own.
We employ the largest professional coaching staff, capitalize on the diverse talents of our volunteers, organize tournaments across Northern California, operate clubs/teams @the highest levels, & provide quality chess coaching from rookies to masters.
Named 2018 Chess Club of the Year by the US Chess Federation, BayAreaChess is the #1 USCF affiliate west of Texas for more than 10 years running (2008-2021).
Multiple locations San Jose, CA 95131
April 20, 2022
- Must be at least 13
- A shift, a week, a month, all summer. You decide. 4.5 hour shifts scheduled, must take a 10 minute break. Could stay all a day, but would need to sign up for both shifts and take a 30 minute lunch after 1PM
- Responsible, patient person with desire to help. Adults 18+ may require a background check. Must wear face masks as required & follow COVID protocols as directed. (This may change.) Perfect for HS/college student seeking community service hours.