1 person is interested
Ageism Community Educator
ORGANIZATION: Changing the Narrative
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
AGEISM COMMUNITY EDUCATOR
Changing the Narrative Speakers Bureau members are volunteer public speakers who provide ageism-related education through virtual, and in-person platforms and expand the reach of Changing the Narrative’s programs in the local community and beyond. Speakers deliver Changing the Narrative’s curriculum using prepared training materials on topics related to understanding ageism, its impacts, and community-based solutions to end it. Our audiences have included: sixth graders, older adults, community and civic groups, and business and healthcare professionals. The presentations typically last from 30 minutes to an hour.
- Communicate effectively and deliver approved presentations.
- Adhere to Changing the Narrative’s established curriculum.
- Work with Changing the Narrative staff partners to identify and coordinate education programs that reach targeted audiences.
- Complete necessary documentation for tracking presentations.
- Committed to spreading the message about ageism and creating a world where everyone can thrive regardless of their age.
- Demonstrated success with public speaking.
- Understanding of adult learning principles.
- Comfortable delivering programs in-person or via zoom.
- Ability to collaborate with staff, volunteers, and community partners.
- Personal experience with ageism, or ageism against a family member or friend (preferred).
- Completion of initial interview.
- Completion of self-study and training with staff.
- Observe one staff led presentation, and complete one mock presentation observed and evaluated by staff prior to presenting independently in the community.
- Comply with Changing the Narrative’s standards and procedures.
- Participate in ongoing education about ageism.
BENEFITS TO VOLUNTEER:
- Serve your local community and people you care about.
- Increase your knowledge of ageism, impacts, and solutions.
- Perfect your community engagement technique and help mobilize your community to create a world where everyone can thrive regardless of their age.
- Receive the benefit of mentorship to improve your speaking abilities and techniques.
- Join a network of other volunteers, Changing the Narrative staff dedicated to ending ageism together.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Changing the Narrative
789 Sherman Street, Suite 250, Denver, CO 80203, US
Changing the Narrative is the nation's leading effort to change the way people think, talk, and act about aging and ageism through evidence-based strategies and innovative public campaigns. Our end game? To end ageism.
Changing the Narrative is a strategic communications and awareness campaign to end the way people think, talk, and act about aging and ageism. Our goal is to end ageism together. Based in Colorado, our work has impact on communities and individuals across the United States and beyond. In 2021, we increased awareness of ageism and mobilized people to take action against it through a variety of strategies and tactics, including:
- Presenting 94 workshops and presentations, reaching over 6,000 individuals representing every state in the US, and 24 countries outside the US.
- Presenting the business case for older workers and intergenerational teams to employers and HR managers, and encouraging employers to be certified as age-friendly.
- Training workforce development centers and others involved in job development and placement on how to position older workers to employers.
- Advocating for stronger workplace age discrimination laws, and for federal stimulus funding to be used to reskill and upskill older workers.
- Launching an age-friendly healthcare campaign, including development of an original short film and discussion guide to educate healthcare providers and consumers on ageism in healthcare and what we can do to address it.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
April 25, 2022
- Community Outreach
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- Initial training will take approximately 10 hours. Speaking engagements, including preparation and presentation will take approximately three hours each.