Avian Housekeeper - Hens
ORGANIZATION: TILTED TAVERN ANIMAL SANCTUARY
Please visit the new page to apply.
Thanks for wanting to volunteer with us! Our hens would love some extra TLC and their very own personal housekeeper! But first, some background info about who we are...
Tilted Tavern Animal Sanctuary was created in 2018 in Jonesborough, Tennessee. We quickly accumulated over 80 farm animals and waterfowl rescued from abuse and neglect. So we rely heavily on volunteers to assist with the day-to-day feeding and tasks. One of our first rescues and inspiration for Tilted Tavern was Atilla the Hen. Attila was bought as an Easter gift for a young child. Sadly the owners could not provide regular care or food for her and the other "Easter chicks." So Atilla was underfed, picked on by other chickens, and had multiple wounds from her trauma. Many of our hens come from cruelty cases, were attacked by dogs, or simply abandoned when their owners relocated to a new home.
We want to make up for their horrific pasts by providing a forever home with kindness and the attention they deserve. This is where YOU come in! Our gals (hens) have their own enclosure with two coops that need weekly cleaning. They also prefer someone to be on poop detail to pick up after them outside their coops. And if not too much, they would love some healthy snacks (provided by us) and time to enjoy a beautiful day in the sun with their humans!
- Weekly shift on either Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday morning, Friday or Saturday afternoon, or Wednesday evening (excludes holidays)
- Shift involves removing fecal matter from their enclosure, removing soiled bedding and replacing it with fresh bedding in their coops, socializing with the hens, and participating in occasional enrichment projects
- Shift time frame varies but should be around three hours or so
- Be able to commit to one shift weekly excluding holidays, emergencies, etc.
- Minimum commitment of six months
- You must be 18 years or older to volunteer
- In special circumstances, we do allow someone between 13 and 17 years old to volunteer as long as they are accompanied by their guardian that is 18 or older
- Sign a liability waiver
- Be able to lift up to 30 to 50 pounds (exceptions for medical and health issues)
- Be able to withstand working outdoors for a few hours throughout the year in the rain, heat, and cold
- Join our Slack TTAS Volunteer group to communicate with staff and volunteers
- Thoroughly read our volunteer manual and agree to our policies
- Care for the animals in a gentle, compassionate, and respectful manner
- In-person interview
- Participate in training before volunteering unsupervised
- One month probationary period
- Continue to participate in training and attend workshops as needed
- Not allowed to feed any additional food items to the rescues as this can lead to health issues such as obesity
- Are allowed to take pictures and videos after their shift is completed following our media policy and guidelines
- Are mindful of our rescues' demeanors, sizes, strengths, and current moods
- Must have permission to be on the property at any time other than their weekly shift(s)
We currently do not have any public restrooms or have handicap accessibility. If you are interested in volunteering, please complete the form below. And if you have any questions, please reach out to us via e-mail or on social media. Thank you for wanting to volunteer!
Find us on Facebook and Instagram @tiltedtavernanimals
Signup form - http://eepurl.com/g3Vlp5
About TILTED TAVERN ANIMAL SANCTUARY
PO Box 935, JONESBOROUGH, TN 37659, US
To rescue and provide comprehensive care, security, and love for farm animals that have been abused, neglected, or forgotten, with the hope that their stories will inspire and motivate toward a greater understanding and respect for every individual life.
Tilted Tavern Animal Sanctuary was created in 2018 as a much needed safe haven for abused and neglected farm animals in northeast Tennessee. Within two years, TTAS has become a forever home for over 80 animals. We have Dumbleboar and Skittles (a pig and goat respectively) that were used as bait in a dog fighting ring, Twizzlers the goat who was tied to the same spot for close to two years without a single hoof trim leading to her walking on her knees, hens that were abused (broken toes and starved), and so many more with stories to tell.
We need volunteers to prep and feed part of the daily ration, clean enclosures, assist with various building or clerical projects, and that simply spend time with our rescues. We have morning and afternoon shifts currently available. Feeding and cleaning shifts usually last an hour while projects and social time can last one to a few hours. Volunteers commit to one shift a week for feeding, cleaning, and socializing. Projects are once a month or scheduled as needed throughout the year. Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
We are not currently open to the public. Please e-mail or sign up for one of our recruitment workshops to find out more information about our volunteer program.
will be providedJonesborough, TN 37659
April 6, 2022
- Animal Care / Handling
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
- Verbal / Written Communication