Volunteer Spanish Language Meetup Facilitator
Please visit the new page to apply.
Torus is a new 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to bridge gaps between people and communities by facilitating transformative experiences of language and culture exchange. Torus is looking for bilingual Spanish/English speakers who can facilitate weekly Zoom meetups for people learning Spanish. The purpose of the language meetup is to provide a space for participants to communicate in their target language through discussion and fun activities. The Spanish Meetup takes place every Thursday from 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Pacific Time.
This role is...
Transformative: Volunteers can connect with individuals who are interested in learning their language through discussions and activities. This meetup is important for people to find a community to improve their language abilities.
Flexible: The platform Meetup is used to outreach to potential people who participate in this group. Every week participants can vary and participants of all levels are welcome. Volunteers in this role have to be flexible and plan sessions that are engaging for everyone.
Intercultural: This opportunity creates a space for mutual development of intercultural competency. All participants get an opportunity to learn how to navigate and develop awareness, attitudes, knowledge, and skills to effectively and appropriately communicate with people of other cultures.
Skills and Attributes
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Desire to help others communicate in their target language
- Flexibility, empathy, enthusiasm, openness
- Willingness to be awkward, try new things, take direction, give direction
- Participate in 2 meetup sessions before hosting the Spanish Meetup
- Plan activities and discussion questions utilizing the resources available on the Torus Better Impact page
- Facilitate 1 hour per week + spend 30-60 minutes on prep and reporting
- Spend 30 minutes of preparation and 1 hour of facilitating the session per week
- Promptly communicate with all staff members via WhatsApp, text, email, or phone
- Keep all meetup participants engaged
- Respond calmly, humorously, and decisively to the challenges that present themselves
This is an unpaid volunteer position
Please fill out this form if you are interested in volunteering:
5859 SE 92ND AVE APT 301, PORTLAND, OR 97266, US
Torus bridges gaps between people and communities by facilitating transformative experiences of language and culture sharing.
Torus was founded in 2020 by a refugee who was born in Kabul, Afghanistan, raised in Moscow, Russia, and lives in Portland, Oregon. Torus bridges gaps between people and communities by facilitating transformative experiences of language and culture exchange. We do this work through our seven programs. We believe in connectivity and a sense of belonging to a community for immigrants and refugees, as well as anyone who has been living in the US for generations.
Multiple locations Portland, OR 97202
April 5, 2022
- Group Facilitation
- Must be at least 18
- Approximately 1.5 to 2 hours per week for preparation and the session.