Camp Grey Program Assistant
ORGANIZATION: Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
Please visit the new page to apply.
POSITION SUMMARY: Volunteers in this position support the betterment of the programming & facilities
at The Coastal Discovery Center at Camp Gray through a variety of tasks as agreed upon, in advance,
between the Camp Gray Manager and the volunteers. These tasks may include, but are not limited
to, assisting with outdoor science education programming; assisting with student/camper
supervision; assisting with site maintenance and cleaning; and other tasks as assigned and/or
agreed upon. Must be a minimum of 18 years of age by the start date of the position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Assist with outdoor science education programming, including facilitating educational
activities, carrying out janitorial/maintenance tasks and meal preparation
● Support arrival and departure procedures for students/campers
● Recognize, mitigate and respond to hazards to ensure a healthy and safe program for all
● Support emergency procedures as needed
● Act as a positive role model for students/campers and staff at all times
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
● Experience working with youth
● Experience working in an outdoor setting
● Experience resolving conflicts with participants and peers in a calm and professional manner
● Experience providing customer service and professional communication
● Understanding of confidentiality and protocol
● Physically able to perform tasks as agreed upon with supervisor
● Ability to work with a team to share responsibilities throughout the day
● Dependable and punctual
● Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures
SCHEDULE AND SUPPORT:
● Minimum number of hours: 20-22 hours per week
● Schedule is flexible, and mutually agreeable for both supervisors and volunteers
● Complete the following certifications or trainings provided by OMSI:
○ Volunteer Background Check
○ OMSI Volunteer Orientation Online
○ Camp Gray Onsite Training
● Training opportunities and a lifelong learning experience.
● Camp Gray onsite accommodations, including food and lodging, depending on programming
and weather conditions
● Time to explore the nearby coasts and hiking areas around Newport
● Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on availability.
● An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
● Discounts in the OMSI Camps & Classes.
● The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
All are welcome at OMSI.
OMSI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
April 4, 2022
- Physical Education
- Environmental Science
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- ● Minimum number of hours: 20-22 hours per week ● Schedule is flexible, and mutually agreeable for both supervisors and volunteers