Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Blockchain & Climate Institute
The Blockchain & Climate Institute (BCI) is an international volunteers-led think tank supporting and advocating the application of blockchain technology in the global fight against climate change.
We are looking to recruit a highly motivated and enthusiastic General Counsel to join our Director-General’s Office to oversee its Legal Advisory Section comprising a number of senior and junior legal advisors. The ideal candidate is driven and experienced, and looking to make a difference to international climate change governance.
The successful candidate will provide expert and strategic legal advice to the Director-General, Chief of Staff, Company Secretary and all BCI divisions, concerning the legal obligations and operations of BCI and assist in the minimisation of any legal risk exposure, including employment law, contract law, privacy law and competition law, etc.
● Managing the Legal Advisory Section and supervising legal advisors;
● Providing advice on legal matters;
● Evaluating and weighing multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action;
● Supporting the formulation or review of internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors;
● Drafting legal opinions, memoranda, and briefing documents;
● Formulating formalities regarding settlements of disputes;
● Monitoring the implementation of the legal clauses; and
● Advise members on legal issues and risks, including corporate and charity governance, fundraising, marketing, competition, data protection, trademarks, copyright, defamation, and litigation matters, etc. Core competencies
● Strong analytical and research skills including critical thinking, organisational and problem-solving skills;
● Effective interpersonal and communication skills;
● Ability to work well within a team and individually; and
● Seeking a complementary range of specialisms (charity, commercial, corporate, contract, employment, litigation, and others.
Skills & Abilities:
Excellent English writing skills, including the ability to develop effective working relationships, work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, and communicate professionally with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
● Proven ability to effectively multitask and prioritise work;
● Excellent problem-solving skills;
● Excellent attention to detail and proactive attitude is an indispensable skill required for this role
General & Specialist Knowledge:
● Excellent use of Microsoft Office 365 suite (including Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint) is essential to perform in this role; and ● Some knowledge on topics central to the BCI such as climate change, climate finance and blockchain technology preferred.
Education & Training:
Formal/Professional Education (e.g. LLB or GDL); and
● Qualified solicitor/barrister in the UK with a minimum of 5 years’ post-qualification experience either private practice or in-house (at least some in-house experience is highly preferable)
● Proven general counsel experience in not-for-profit environment;
● Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, contract law, employment law, or litigations, etc.); ● In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organisations;
● Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives;
● Experience of building constructive relationships with stakeholders; and
● Experience of working independently and with teams to drive forward blockchain-related projects using your own initiative.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
International House64 Nile StreetLondon, N1 7SRUnited Kingdom
April 1, 2022
- WEEKENDS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH