GENERATIONS Cohort Leader
ORGANIZATION: Boulder County Public Health
Please visit the new page to apply.
BCPH Program & Division: GENERATIONS Program, Community Health Division
Time Commitment: 10-20 hours/week (Flexible, dependent upon needs of youth, intern and supervisor)
Location: Virtual/In-Person, BCPH offices
GENERATIONS (formerly known as GENESISTER) supports youth during their teen years, as well as their parents/guardians, to prevent school dropout and reduce incidences of unplanned pregnancies through mentorship, self-empowerment tools, and culturally responsive programming.
Visit https://www.bouldercounty.org/families/youth/generations/ for more information.
Description of Work:
The GENERATIONS Program in the Community Health Division at Boulder County Public Health (BCPH) is in search of 1-2 enthusiastic and creative interns to manage the GENERATIONS Leaders Organizing (GLO) cohort, where youth apply and are interviewed for a year-long, incentivized, commitment to the cohort. The GLO opportunity provides youth an intentional space to convene and find common issues they are passionate about and create ways to problem-solve through two community-based and -focused projects each school year.
This internship position will support the participating youth in practicing and developing leadership skills and assist them through their projects to create change in their local communities. The intern in this position will gain valuable experience in facilitating youth groups through a social justice approach to youth engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Attend the intern orientation in August 2022.
* Attend the August 2022 GLO retreat.
* Facilitate weekly leadership group meetings in-person or virtually, (COVID-19 recommendations dependent).
* Help youth plan, organize, and complete social justice projects within their community.
* Create a weekly agenda that will guide youth in building leadership skills (eventually transitioning youth into taking on group planning and facilitation).
* Provide youth transportation to in-person groups.
* Involvement in case management by attending weekly GENERATIONS team meetings, as well as GENERATIONS Program events.
* Collaborate with community partners and agencies.
* Optional: Provide case management and input into a database system.
Both up-front and ongoing training will be provided by the GENERATIONS Youth Specialists and the Community Health Division Manager.
GENERATIONS Youth Specialist and Community Health Division Manager will meet with intern on a bi-weekly basis.
Current enrollment as an undergraduate (upper level) or graduate-level student in the field of Anthropology, Public Health, Sociology, Psychology, Social Work, or related field.
* Understanding of and/or experience working with youth culture, Latinx populations, low-income families, and LGBTQIA+ communities.
* Group facilitation experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Must be culturally responsive and be able to work with youth of various identities in an inclusive and nonjudgmental fashion.
* Comfort in talking about sexuality and all topics within sexual health and empowerment.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to conduct self in a responsible and professional manner in the course of work.
* Must manage the creation, maintenance, sharing, storage, and disposal of all client protected health information (PHI) in compliance with applicable Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements.
* Bilingual Spanish/English skills and/or biculturalism is/are preferred, but not required.
* To transport clients the intern must have: 1) a reliable personal vehicle that is readily available for business use; 2) minimum liability insurance, as required by the State of Colorado; 3) a valid driver’s license; 4) a driving record in good standing; 5) properly functioning front and back seatbelts in the vehicle; and 6) all passengers, including the driver, wearing seatbelts at all times while the vehicle is in motion.
* Intern must have access to a PC/laptop to perform work; one will be provided by BCPH, if requested.
* Must submit immunization history form and immunization documentation. Some immunizations (e.g. COVID-19 vaccine) and/or tuberculosis (TB) tests may be required (at the expense of BCPH), and volunteer/intern must comply with these requirements prior to start date.
How to Apply:
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Submit an application online or contact Volunteer/Intern Services:
BCPH Volunteer/Intern Services Program
Boulder CO 80304
About Boulder County Public Health
3450 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80304, US
Boulder County Public Health shall protect, promote, and enhance the health and well-being of all people and the environment in Boulder County.
Boulder County Public Health provides public health services to all residents of Boulder County.
Multiple locations Boulder, CO 80309
March 30, 2022
- Youth Services
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training