Tobacco Education and Prevention Partnership (TEPP) Intern
ORGANIZATION: Boulder County Public Health
Please visit the new page to apply.
BCPH Program & Division: TEPP, Community Health Division
Time Commitment: Up to 20 hours/week
Location: Virtual/Boulder County BCPH offices
The Tobacco Education and Prevention Partnership (TEPP) is a program at Boulder County Public Health (BCPH) in the Community Health Division that prevents people from starting to use tobacco products, helps youth and adults quit tobacco, reduces tobacco-related disparities, and lowers exposure to secondhand smoke, with the ultimate goal of decreasing tobacco-related death and disease in Boulder County.
The TEPP Program focuses on the root causes of substance use and collaborates with community partners and other programs within BCPH to lead and support equitable programming and policy initiatives.
Description of Work:
This intern position will be responsible for helping the TEPP team in all areas of their work. The three focus areas are to assist on a project to examine racial equity and authentic community engagement in the local policy process; collaborate with community partners on the safe disposal of vaping products in Boulder County; and assist with the implementation of a peer-to-peer program to support youth on their journey to quit vaping while helping them examine their relationship with vaping, stress, mental health and other underlying causes of their vape use. This position may offer other opportunities based on the interests and skills of the intern. The position will be a hybrid of working virtually and in-person, depending on back to office protocols put in place by BCPH.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Assists in an equity project that will look at the equity of tobacco-related policies in the community while focusing on racial justice and authentic community engagement.
* Conducts outreach and maintains relationships with community partners around safe vape disposal.
* Assists staff in implementing a peer-to-peer youth program to support youth with their mental health and on their journey to quitting vaping.
Training and Orientation:
* Overview of Boulder County, BCPH, the TEPP Program, and the Community Health Division.
* Overview of tobacco control and prevention efforts in Colorado.
* Understanding of government systems, including public health and local city councils/town boards.
* Experience in substance use prevention at the local policy and community programmatic levels.
* Experience in community engagement and creating/maintaining community partnerships.
* Understanding of the local policy process at the city and county levels.
* Supervision will be provided by a staff person with an MSW (Master of Social Work) or MPH (Master of Public Health) degree.
* Current MSW or MPH student.
* Background in social work/sociology/psychology or public health.
* Experience working with diverse communities and community partners.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Must be culturally responsive with the ability to respectfully work with clients of various identities and socioeconomic backgrounds in an inclusive and nonjudgmental fashion.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Proficient in standard computer software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
* Ability to work effectively on a team, as well as independently.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, coworkers, and community partners and agencies.
* General knowledge of best practices around authentic community engagement is preferred.
* Ability to work effectively in a virtual setting.
* Must have access to own computer for intern work responsibilities.
* Must submit immunization history form and immunization documentation vaccination. Some immunizations (e.g. COVID-19 vaccine) and/or tuberculosis (TB) tests may be required (at the expense of BCPH), and the volunteer must comply with these requirements prior to start date.
* Universal precautions and TB training will be provided by the BCPH employee infection control nurse before the volunteer may begin.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Submit an application online or the TEPP Program:
Boulder CO 80304
About Boulder County Public Health
3450 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80304, US
Boulder County Public Health shall protect, promote, and enhance the health and well-being of all people and the environment in Boulder County.
Boulder County Public Health provides public health services to all residents of Boulder County.
Multiple locations Boulder, CO 80309
March 30, 2022
- Youth Services
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training