Public Policy Research Advisor
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Cuso International
Location: Bogotá, Colombia
Start Date: June 2022
Placement Length: 9 months
Language Requirements: Spanish Level 4-Advanced
Please submit a Spanish CV and Statement of Interest
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada OnlyThe Volunteer’s Role
The municipalities of the Mid-Pacific, where the Fundación ACUA and Cuso International have been advancing the processes of construction of the women's public policy, are in the technical stage where they require the construction of the final public policy documents, which must be presented taking into account the public policy cycle. In addition, precise implementation strategies and action plans are needed so that the women of these territories take ownership of the implementation of their public policies once they are approved by the Municipal Council. Thus, the objective of the activities proposed in this work plan provides compliance and technical support to respond to these needs, which the current stage of the processes being carried out in these territories requires.
- Prioritize the construction of the public policy for women in Lopez de Micay and Timbiqui.
- Construction of technical documents for Lopez de Micay and Guapi based on the exercises and activities carried out by ACUA Foundation and Cuso International. It is expected to strengthen strategic alliances with other actors that are present in these municipalities to strengthen actions and work together.
- Plan and implement PPM knowledge transfer workshops and conduct advocacy workshops.
- Establish public policies for women in the 4 municipalities with a view to future mayoral and municipal council elections.
- Review public policy documents on women in the municipalities of Guapi, Timbiquí, Lopez de Micay and El Charco and the advocacy processes. Based on the needs presented, formulate a work and action plan with each community in conjunction with other Cuso volunteer.
- Support the fine-tuning of the document/guide for the implementation of the Public Policy on Women, taking into account the municipal, departmental and national development plans. In addition to this, the Development Programs with a Territorial Approach (PDET) and corresponding legal frameworks should be included.
- Creation of tools (guides, training, routes, etc.) to support the implementation of women's public policies and action and advocacy plans in each municipality. Diagnose, create, pilot, evaluate, improve, finalize.
- Experience working at the community level with women in vulnerable situations.
- Experience leading training processes with women in vulnerable situations.
- Studies (graduate or undergraduate) in public policy studies, political science, government, development studies or other.
- Certificates in project management or knowledge in results-based management.
Cuso International is a not-for-profit development organization that works to eradicate poverty and inequality. Each year, we mobilize hundreds of volunteer professionals to work alongside local partners to maximize their impact through capacity building. We work in partnership with governments, civil society organizations, multilateral agencies and the private sector to develop and deliver programs aimed at advancing gender equality, promoting the empowerment of women and girls, and improving access to and quality of economic opportunities for young people.Project - Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE)
Cuso International will deliver the Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE) project, with a contribution from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) over seven years (2020-2027). SHARE aims to improve the economic and/or social well-being of the poorest, most marginalized and vulnerable people, particularly women and girls, in developing countries, with a view to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals. In addition to increasing engagement of Canadians in international development and key global issues, this project will aim to increase the performance of country partners to deliver more inclusive, innovative and environmentally sustainable development initiatives that advance gender equality, in support of the action areas of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.Partner - Fundación Activos Culturales Afro (ACUA)
The Afro Cultural Assets Foundation -ACUA- is a non-profit entity that was created as an IFAD program in 2007 and later became a foundation in 2010. ACUA promotes the sustainable empowerment of cultural assets of organized Afro-descendant communities. ACUA, in co-ownership with Afro-descendant communities, contributes to the promotion of innovative income-generating initiatives, the recovery of cultural knowledge and practices, and economic and social inclusion. The Foundation manages projects in Latin America for the development of Afro-descendant communities with the main objective of closing the gaps and improving the living conditions of the rural Afro-descendant population.Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.Support Package
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending on country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation (more details below)
- On the ground support through our Cuso International country program office
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
All volunteers are required to be double vaccinated with the World Health Organization approved vaccines.
Pre-departure Training and Briefing
We commit to helping you prepare as best as possible for your placement. You will have an advisor to support you through the process and will receive essential training as part of your preparation. This training is designed to maximize your understanding of your placement and culture, help you identify and plan your own learning, and help you stay safe and healthy during your placement.
Overview of pre-departure training:
- Skills and Knowledge for Working in Development (SKWID) program
- Self-directed briefing documents, online training and external resources accessed through the volunteer portal
- Online health briefing
- Fundraising 101 Webinar
You will receive an In-Country Orientation (ICO) that builds upon the pre-departure training. This will be conducted by either the country program office or the supporting partner organization. This normally lasts for 2-10 days (depending on language learning requirements and other factors). In some countries, volunteers will be able to access ongoing language training opportunities. In-Country Orientation equips you with the relevant skills, knowledge, and country-specific information to be successful in your placement. Furthermore, our Country Program Office or local partner will provide you with continuous in-country support throughout the duration of your placement.Fundraising
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
6878 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Bogotá - La CaleraBogota, K1R 6S4Colombia
August 1, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME