Education Assistants 2022-2023 (Volunteer in the Northwest Territories)
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Cuso International
Location: Various communities in the Northwest Territories, Canada
Placement duration: Starting in August 2022 until June 2023
Language Requirements: English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
What impact could you have? Have a positive and lasting change in Indigenous communities!
As an Education Assistant, you will provide your knowledge as an educator, share your experiences about the world, inspire students to learn and pursue further education, and encourage students to believe they can become who they aspire to be!
You will help facilitate the e-learning program for students in grades 4-12 where you will connect your classroom to a network of other classrooms in various schools in the Northwest Territories also facilitated by other Education Assistants like yourself. You will work directly with assigned teachers (including the host teacher), participate in activities both inside and outside the classroom, and be engaged with the community through intercultural events throughout the school year.
If you are a self-motivated individual with an interest in teaching, learning about indigenous cultures, and being involved with the community, then this is the placement for you!As a volunteer, you will:
- Work in the school as a tutor (Math and/or Science is an asset)
- Assist the students during lessons, under the direct supervision of the headteacher
- Monitor the progress of the students and report back to the classroom teachers
- Accompany and supervise students during activities in the school gym, labs, libraries, resource centers and on field trips
- Support fundraising events at the school and community level
- Help in other capacities (including computer instruction, art, music, sports) depending on your skills, training, and hobbies as well as the needs of the schoolEssential Requirements:
- Completed university degree or college diploma
- Ability to pass the vulnerable sector police check
- Must be currently located in CanadaEssential Background:
- Experience teaching or presenting material to children and youth, particularly students with special needs.
- Knowledge of Indigenous Peoples in Canada (experience working with Indigenous Peoples is an asset)
- Strong understanding of working with High School age students
- Display an understanding of different learning styles
- Be culturally sensitive and have an openness to learning about different cultures
- Computer literate and knowledgeable of technology
- Previous volunteer or work experience either in Canada or in other countries
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skillsWhat’s in it for YOU? A life-changing experience!
Each volunteer placement is a unique experience. Read about the impact of previous volunteers in the Northwest Territories: Niroja Thirugnanasampanthar (Fort Providence), Lois Boody (Fort Resolution), Richard Marlow (Fort McPherson), Nathan Burrows (Fort McPherson), Jana Kasparova (Tuktoyaktuk)About Cuso International and Participating Schools Cuso International
Cuso International is a not-for-profit development organization that works to eradicate poverty and inequality. Each year, we mobilize hundreds of volunteer professionals to work alongside local partners to maximize their impact through capacity building. We work in partnership with governments, civil society organizations, multilateral agencies and the private sector to develop and deliver programs aimed at advancing gender equality, promoting the empowerment of women and girls, and improving access to and quality of economic opportunities for young people.Beaufort Delta Education Council
The most northerly school board in the Northwest Territories with all eight communities and nine schools located north of the Arctic Circle, the BDEC serves 1382 students in the region and is responsible for about 200 administrators, teachers and support staff. Cuso International is currently working with the schools in Aklavik, Inuvik, Fort McPherson, Paulatuk and Tuktoyaktuk.South Slave Divisional Education Council
Responsible for the education of approximately 1300 (JK-12) students in the South Slave region, the Council's mission is to strive to prepare students to create their futures. Their primary responsibility is to provide for the educational needs of the students of the South Slave region. Cuso International is currently working with the schools in Fort Resolution and Hay River.Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.Support Package
- Modest monthly living allowance
- Accommodation while in placement
- Airfare to and from placement
- Online predeparture training
- Emergency Medical Insurance
- On the ground support through our Cuso International office
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Support for accompanying partners/dependents is not available for this placement.Fundraising
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
151 Mackenzie RoadInuvik, NT X0E 0T0Canada
May 19, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME