Mercy Serves AmeriCorps Member
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Mercy Serves AmeriCorps Program- Mercy Health
"When the next generation asks 'What did you do when the biggest drug epidemic hit this country?’ we want to be able say - and I think we will be able to say now - that we did something that no one had ever seen before." -Navdeep S. Kang, PsyD, HSP, CGP
Ohio has ranked first nationwide in opioid death since 2014. Mercy Health is committed to lead the charge to change that statistic. Mercy Health and AmeriCorps have partnered to build Mercy Serves, a diverse, energetic, volunteer corps serving in Mercy Health Emergency Departments across the state of Ohio to prevent and reduce substance and opioid use. As a part of the broader opioid epidemic response, AmeriCorps members provide patient education, substance use risk screening, emotional support, and referrals to treatment and social services for Emergency Department patients. AmeriCorps members work alongside nurses, providers, and social workers to ensure that patients receive necessary support and resources to make healthy choices and encourage behavior change.
Mercy Serves is recruiting a class of 10 AmeriCorps members to serve a full-time, 11-month service term in 5 Mercy Health emergency departments in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Mercy Serves AmeriCorps Member will:
- Provide patient education about addiction and substance use to address stigma
- Deliver screening, early intervention, and referral to treatment for patients at risk of substance use disorder utilizing the SBIRT (Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment) model
- Provide linkages to healthcare and social service resources
- Follow up with patients to continue providing support and treatment access after discharge
- Collect data from patient encounters; maintain appropriate, accurate databases necessary for reporting and compliance activities; and provide pertinent reporting as needed
- Participate in mandatory Mercy Serves team meetings and learning opportunities, including biannual retreats, that contribute to personal development as well as growth of the Mercy Serves program.
- Participate in mandatory AmeriCorps meetings and conferences to share member experience and program successes
- Maintain comprehensive and accurate documentation of AmeriCorps service experience including number of hours served, trainings received, etc.
- Maintain internal and external contacts, including community-based organizations, to support diverse patient needs
- Represent the service-oriented aspects of the Mercy Health ministry, Community Health team, and Mercy Serves AmeriCorps program
- Other duties as assigned, including specialized projects based on site needs and community outreach activities
As an AmeriCorps program, this is a TEMPORARY, 11-month service position. Compensation is paid in the form of a modest bi-weekly living stipend, health benefits, and professional development training/opportunities. Member is eligible to receive education award upon completion of all service requirements.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8509 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Cincinnati, OH 45237
August 1, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME