Political Election Law Compliance Officer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Sierra Club - Massachusetts ChapterAbout the Sierra Club
Founded by legendary conservationist John Muir in 1892, the Sierra Club is now the nation's largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization - with more than 2.7 million members and supporters. Our successes range from protecting millions of acres of wilderness to helping pass the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and Endangered Species Act. More recently, we've made history by leading the charge to move away from the dirty fossil fuels that cause climate disruption and toward a clean energy economy. Here in Massachusetts, we have an over 45-year legacy of protecting the environment with successful legislative, advocacy, and educational campaigns.Purpose of Position
The Election Law Compliance Officer advises those involved in a chapter’s political program about how to conduct political activities to ensure compliance with the provisions of Massachusetts state and local election laws, as well as Sierra Club policies and restrictions. No prior election law knowledge is required. The compliance officer is welcome to attend and weigh in during Political Committee meetings but cannot vote on political endorsements in order to maintain neutrality.Responsibilities
- The Compliance Officer ensures that the political campaign activities of the chapter and its entities adhere to all applicable state and local election regulation and reporting requirements. This includes responsibility for compliance with the laws and regulations pertaining to direct and in-kind contribution limits, public and member communications, fundraising restrictions, and the reporting of campaign contributions and expenditures.
- Explain, justify, and persuade Club members to accept and comply with all appropriate Sierra Club policies and Club-related restrictions as stated in the Sierra Club Political Team Compliance Guidelines and other related resources.
- The Compliance Officer ensures that adequate communication between him or herself and the chapter chair, political chair, political action committee treasurer(s) and staff regarding pertinent political campaign activities.
- The Compliance Officer serves as a compliance resource for the Chapter’s political program as to local and state and federal election laws
- The Compliance Officer shall keep informed of any changes in regulations and reporting requirements for various state and local elections, the application of 501(c)(4), PAC, and independent expenditures, and other information relating to the Chapter’s state and local campaign-related activities.
- The Compliance Officer shall maintain a permanent file of campaign reports and correspondence, and pass the file on to compliance officer’s successor.
- If a volunteer, the Chapter Compliance Officer shall, before leaving office, assist in training a replacement.
Please note: this is an unpaid volunteer position.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
50 Federal Street3rd FloorBoston, MA 02110
March 24, 2022