Disaster Relief Support Needed Urgently!
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: American Red Cross in Eastern New York
When families are left scrambling during disasters, our American Red Cross teams are determined to help them get through the night, then take the first steps toward recovery. That work involves coordination among many volunteers who pull together the necessary resources to respond to an emergency and follow-up for support.
There are several key roles on disaster services teams. Here are a few that urgently need volunteers:
POSITION: Disaster Duty Officer (Virtual Role)
The Disaster Duty Officer plays a critical role in keeping the team on track behind-the-scenes. This is a virtual assignment that requires an ability to work with computers, phones, and similar technology.
· Standby for disaster notifications from call centers (usually a home fire).
· Check with local Emergency Management to determine how we can help.
· Use our software platform to deploy qualified volunteers.
· You’ll need access to a computer/phone for data entry, messaging, and searching.
· Handle requests from the field team for resources. Multi-task in a stressful environment.
· Sign up for two, 6-hour on-call, shifts each week. Attend an hour-long monthly meeting.
· Must be 18+ years of age.
POSITION: Disaster Action Team Member (In-Person Interactions)
Disaster Action Teams provide 24-hour emergency response to local disasters, particularly house fires, ensuring those affected have access to food, shelter, and clothing.
· Respond to fires, floods, or other emergency events.
· Connect with affected families/individuals and assess their needs. Then, report back to team.
· Enter client information into online portal. Comfort with computers/tablets is necessary.
· Sign up for 6-hour on-call shift each week, standing by to respond to emergencies.
· DAT membership is evaluated & renewed annually, based on performance.
· Must be 18-years of age with a valid driver’s license.
· Complete and regularly update Red Cross provided training.
POSITION: Disaster Caseworker (Virtual Opportunity)
Families and individuals face the impact of a disaster long after the immediate danger has passed. Disaster Caseworkers follow up to assess ongoing needs and refer clients to resources that can help them continue to recover.
· Interview new clients for a case file. Need reliable internet, comfort with phone/computer.
· Connect qualified clients with financial or other types of assistance.
· Provide Follow-up and Recovery Planning Services. ·
· Make Internal & Community Referrals for problem-solving.
· 8-hour shifts during a disaster relief operation, potentially working consecutive days.
· Must be 18+ years of age with a valid driver’s license.
· 9-hours virtual training required.
APPLY & EXPLORE: https://volunteerconnection.redcross.org/?nd=lead&a=10143&h=234&p=1786210
Still have questions?
The American Red Cross relies on volunteers just like YOU! This is a fulfilling opportunity to meet other volunteers and play a vital role in making sure every community has a disaster team ready for emergencies. If this opportunity isn't the right fit, we have many others! Connect with us through the email or phone number above! Thank you for considering volunteering. Your time can make a world of difference in someone’s life.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Oswego, NY 12205
March 23, 2022