6 people are interested
Adaptive Yoga Assistant - Duluth, MN
ORGANIZATION: Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
Please visit the new page to apply.
6 people are interested
Help adults with physical or cognitive disabilities experience the benefits of yoga by practicing mind-body concepts and practical exercises. Volunteers help participants experience a variety of yoga poses by adapting the poses to the participant’s abilities.
All classes are taught by certified adaptive yoga instructors through True North Adaptive Yoga, a partnership with Courage Kenny Northland, Duluth YMCA, Miller Dwan Foundation, and the College of St. Scholastica. Each class also includes an intentional social/community focus to foster relationships and fun.
"The fact that if I am not able to do one limb, someone is there ready to help me with it! It is unbelievable!"- Adaptive Yoga participant
"I can only hope that my time and energy is as meaningful to the yoga students as their presence and spirit are to me." ~Adaptive Yoga volunteer
- Assist by providing gentle adjustments to participants to enhance their self-awareness and mind-body connection
- Assist with transferring participants to the floor as needed, training provided. Participants will be in a chair, on the floor or some combination of both
- Assist instructor with set-up, take-down, and use of yoga props such as blankets, blocks and belts to support different bodies and enhance the experience of the yoga postures
- Basic experience and familiarity with yoga (preferred)
- Ability to be attentive, positive, and project a calm demeanor
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- COVID-19 vaccine and influenza vaccine verification is required for all volunteers
- Gain experience working and communicating with adults with disabilities
- Feel good knowing you are helping people improve their physical and mental well-being through yoga practice and community
- Meet other volunteers and become a part of the yoga community
Time Commitment: one 6-8 week session (one class per week), plus new volunteer orientation/training if needed. Volunteers can volunteer for just one session, or year-round as works with their schedule.
Training: General CKRI online orientation (new volunteers only) and yoga-specific volunteer training before the first class. Annual Required Training for CKRI volunteers as assigned.
Locations/Days: offered year-round seasonally in four 6-8 week sessions
Winter 2023 Session Dates: January 30 - March 6
- Mondays, 10:30-12:00 am, Peace Church, 1111 N 11th Ave E
- Wednesdays, 5:00-6:30 pm, Polinsky Medical Rehabilitation Center, Miller Hill Mall, Hermantown
Contact: Beth Jennings, Coordinator of Volunteers - Sports & Recreation, Courage Kenny Northland, 218-726-4834, Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org
17 More opportunities with Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute1 Review
About Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
3915 Golden Valley Road, Minneapolis, MN 55422, US
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institution (formerly Courage Center) maximizes quality of life for people of all ages and all abilities. we help people achieve health and wellness by offering excellent services, innovative programs, ground-breaking research and barrier-shattering advocacy
Our Vision: We are guided by our vision that one day all people will live, work, learn and play in a community based on abilities, not disabilities.
- Clients and Patients as Partners
- Integrating Mind, Body and Spirit
- Quality and Innovation
- The Generous Spirit
- Financial Stewardship
We have opportunities for individual volunteers beginning at age 15 as well as group opportunities. Please, contact us for further information.
424 West Superior StreetSuite 201Duluth, MN 55802
April 10, 2023
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- One yoga class per week (1.5-2 hrs/class) for 6-8 week session.
- COVID-19 vaccine verification is needed for all volunteers