Volunteer Board Member
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Community Cycles of California
Community Cycles of California is seeking energetic, outgoing, compassionate individuals to join our Board of Directors! Here’s a bit about us...if you’re excited about what we’re doing, read on, maybe YOU are our next board member!
Community Cycles of California is a San Jose based 501c3 nonprofit organization, founded in 2017. Our mission is to strengthen our community by promoting economic independence for individuals facing barriers to employment through our nonprofit bicycle shop, charitable bike programs, and vocational training.
Located right off the Alameda, we sell high-quality, previously owned bikes that have passed a 60-point safety inspection. Our shop revenue is then funneled into life-changing programs like Paid Vocational Training. This 6-12 month immersive program teaches small-business administration and basic bike mechanics, positioning paid participants for living wage employment. Current vocational student, Esther, had this to say about the practical application of her new skills:
"I was very enthusiastic that I got to work on a bike! In my mind, all I was thinking was thatsomeone is going to enjoy getting a chance to ride the bike I built...kinda makes me a little proud of myself. But at the end of the day, I want to continue to fix, build, and help the community with the bikes we provide!" - Esther, Paid Vocational Program Participant
Bikes and repairs purchased at our shop also fund free repairs for those in need, and free bikes through our Earn A Bike (EAB) program. Through EAB, folks who may not otherwise be able to acquire a bike give 6 hours of volunteer time, earning a Community Cycles’ bike to help them get to school, work, or just to get out into the sun.
Our passion is removing barriers for folks facing economic hardship by offering accessible and often free bikes and repairs, and on-the-job learning through paid vocational training. We have a big vision and a lot to tackle; want to join us? We would love to talk to you if you...
- Care deeply about inclusive and representative business practices
- Are passionate about advocating for underrepresented people
- Love meeting new people
- Are ready to support fundraising, even indirectly (e.g. Thank you notes!)
- Have professional expertise in
- marketing and/or sales, or
- public policy
And here are a few additional FYIs...
- The average monthly time commitment for Board membership is 4-5 hours.
- Prior board experience is appreciated but not required. We are looking for skills and compatibility, not a specific resume.
- Don’t know much about bikes? That’s fine! Bikes are a critical component of how we achieve our mission, but the passion that drives us comes from a love of people and a desire to promote equity in our community. If you’re into that, you’ll fit right in.
- Love taking photos, making videos, or doing graphic design? We are always in need of people with these passions and skills.
- Here’s some information about our staff and our current Board of Directors
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
35 Wilson AvenueSan Jose, CA 95126
March 17, 2022
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH