Service Access Team Member
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Franciscan Mission Service
About Franciscan Mission Service:
Franciscan Mission Service (FMS) is a nonprofit organization that provides Catholic women and men the opportunity to serve in solidarity with economically marginalized communities around the world. FMS trains, sends, and supports lay Catholics to serve others in a way that is respectful of cultural and religious differences.
About the DC Service Corps Program:
The DC Service Corps (DCSC) Program offers young-adult Catholics opportunities to learn about nonprofits, deepen one’s commitment to service, grow in faith, and live out the Franciscan values daily. In the spirit of Saints Francis and St. Clare, volunteers serve for a year in various ministries, sharing Christ’s love and cultivating relationships of peace and justice.
This transformative experience is enriched by an intentional Christian community, in which volunteers focus on simple living, prayer, reflection, and living the Gospel mission of "service and action for a more just and humane world." As a house of hospitality, Casa San Salvador provides volunteers with the opportunity to live with (and offer hospitality to) guests from around the world.
DC Service Corps Program - Service Access Team Member
Are you interested in serving the population of individuals experiencing homelessness in Washington, DC? Join DC Service Corps, a program offers young-adult Catholics opportunities to learn about nonprofits, deepen their commitment to service, grow in faith, and live out the Franciscan values on a daily basis. The Services Access Team Member will serve with The Father McKenna Center, a local nonprofit striving to "accompany and care for men facing homelessness and families struggling with poverty" in underserved communities within the shadow of the US Capitol. ( www.fathermckennacenter.org)
- Provide direct assistance to meet the needs of the 40+ men who enter the doors of The Father McKenna Center’s drop-in shelter on a daily basis
- Serve low-income families through managing the daily food pantry or helping the families "shop" for the groceries they need
- Welcome men experiencing homelessness and connect them to social services provided including: meals, laundry services, showers, phones, clothing closet, computer lab, etc.
- Listen, respond to and encourage the men to engage with the case management team and the men’s support group sessions
- Assist staff with operations, social media initiatives and special projects
- Flexibility and willingness to work in a team to meet the needs of the community served
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, including those who may struggle with mental illness and experiences of trauma
- Sensitivity to the needs of those experiencing homelessness and economic poverty
- Commitment to finding long-term solutions to end homelessness while also attending to the immediate needs of those experiencing homelessness
- Ability to pass a background check
- Counseling or social work background helpful, but not required
- Fluency in Spanish is desired, but not required
- Ability to lift 35 lbs. or more and be on one’s feet throughout the day
- Submit an application by visiting the following webpage: https://franciscanmissionservice.org/programs/dc-service-corps/#application
- Or by emailing email@example.com for more information
- Accepting applications until June 30, 2022 or until the position is filled
- Young-adult Catholics with a heart for service are encouraged to apply, even if they may not meet every qualification listed above
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
6758 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Washington, DC 20017
March 11, 2022
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME