Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: GeekGirlConMission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.Job Summary
The Manager of Design is responsible for developing and implementing the GeekGirlCon visual branding, as well as translating marketing objectives into creative strategies, designs, and plans. They are also responsible for overseeing the Design Team, assigning and managing tasks, and conducting Design Team meetings. Reports to Director of Marketing.Responsibilities
- Develops and continues to evolve GeekGirlCon’s brand and branding guidelines.
- Establishes efficient and effective production processes, including development of a strong visual branding guide; manages the team to meet deadlines; responds to GeekGirlCon needs/opportunities; and delivers consistently high quality work.
- Responsible for the accuracy, timeliness, and quality of work produced by the GeekGirlCon Design Team before it is sent off to other departments and/or the printers.
- Develops integrated creative concepts across all mediums - digital, print, and merchandise. Also responsible for creating internal and external branded print and making sure digital collateral matches visual branding styles.
- Responsible for guiding and motivating other Design Team staff.
- Conducts team training on new business
- Conducts yearly reviews of Design staff.
- Responsible for interviewing and hiring additional Design Team staff as needed
- Must be able to discern actual ask / assignment from creative brief and be able to break it down into digestible parts for rest of team
- Develop campaigns for social media and print
- Work with the Merch Manager to develop merch designs for the Con (and get them produced)
- Working knowledge of composition, layout, and principles of design. Formal training in Graphic Design preferred.
- Ability to work with type
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Be familiar with the Google suite of products as well as Dropbox and Paper.
- Be highly organized, multi-task, and communicate between staff (and review creative work) to meet deadlines.
- 4-6 years in Design-related field required.
- Prior team management experience preferred.
- Must be able to work autonomously and remotely
- Time requirements 5-10 hours / week avg, but in the three months leading up to the con, can go as high as 20 hours / week.
- Needed onsite for load-in day (the Friday before the con).
- Able to get around in the Google suite of product as well as Basecamp.
- Awareness of current trends and activities in design and geek culture.
- Working knowledge and experience working with our diverse communities, empowerment, diversity and inclusion.
- Minimum commitment to this volunteer position is two Convention cycles
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- 5-10 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Seattle, WA 98104
March 8, 2022