DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
Depression Support | Participants for Mental Health Pen-Pal Program
ORGANIZATION: LIFE WITHOUT A FORK
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
We are inviting individuals aged 18-26 to volunteer as participants in our Friends for Life loneliness prevention letter writing program. Our program, supported by the American Eagle Outfitters Foundation, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, and ROSS Stores, will initially require eight-sixteen letters of communication between you and your pen-pal, with one letter per week needed. As this program is somewhat geared toward research and intended to serve individuals who suffer from mental health challenges such as depression and anxiety, we are seeking individuals who are currently challenged with loneliness, a lack of social support, as well as similar dynamics and conditions.
We call for you to create quality, warm, welcoming and compassionate relationships with our corresponding volunteers/participants to whom you will be writing.
The purpose of this program is to implement a platform of social support to adolescent and young adult aged individuals who are at risk of or currently suffer from anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, and other related challenges. It is an indirect intention for this program to provide further information toward current research on the effects of social isolation, loneliness, and lack of social support, and the usefulness of methods of intervention in regards to the aforementioned.
Our Participant Volunteer Look Like:
- Age Range 18-26
- Professionally diagnosed or showing signs of major, clinical, or other forms of Depression, Anxiety, Suicidal Ideation, Loneliness, and like conditions
- Temporally available and able to commit to the eight-sixteen letters
- Available to schedule a virtual introductory meeting
- Scoring high on the UCLA- Loneliness Scale
- Amenable to participation in media, data, and related forms of campaign involvement. However, please do not let this inquiry deter you from lending a greatly appreciated helping hand if you happen to not be comfortable participating in media or data inquiries.
About LIFE WITHOUT A FORK
10331 WESTERN AVE APT 62, DOWNEY, CA 90241, US
Life Without A Fork is a nonprofit determined to give more life to those with overlooked and invisible disabilities by improving quality of life through the increase of services, awareness, and social support.
Life Without A Fork was founded by Vanessa Williams in 2009 initially as a documentary film project to bring awareness to the rare, potentially fatal condition from which she was diagnosed in 2006, idiopathic angioedema. Since then, her efforts have grown to Serve those with overlooked conditions, including mental health, and directs many programs toward youth with the acknowledgment that many mental health concerns and rare or invisible conditions effect a younger demographic.
Life Without A Fork has successfully:
- Established a network of support systems for those with the rare conditions known as Idiopathic Angioedema, Urticaria, and MCAS
- Hosted over four years of Swellness Expos
- Supported the Veteran community through direct donations
- Supported high school students through direct donations
- Raised awareness to high school aged students about the importance health and well-being
Multiple locations San Francisco, CA 94132
May 9, 2022
- Crisis Intervention
- Mental Health
- Reading / Writing
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Relationship Building
- Must be at least 18
- As this program will initially include an eight week time frame, research participant volunteers will need to be available to read and respond to (write) one qualitative letter per week to their corresponding volunteer.
- Please make thoughtful decisions involving time availability, authentic emotional and emotional support needs, and interest in participating in research and being a recipient in services when reaching out to work with us in this program. Thank you.