12 people are interested
Volunteer Health Officer
ORGANIZATION: National Women's Health Network
Please visit the new page to apply.
12 people are interested
To Apply: If you have any questions about the opportunity or would like to be considered, please email your resume and/or a link to your LinkedIn profile along with a short email stating your interest to Adele Costa at email@example.com.
Opportunity Description: Are you looking to make a real difference in the lives of women across the nation?
Do you want to be affiliated with one of the most respected health membership organizations on Capitol Hill? Then keep reading!
The NWHN Communications Department is seeking a team of Volunteer Health Officers with medical backgrounds to help us:
1. Respond in a timely manner to women’s health-related questions we get from our membership and the public.
2. Fact check short pieces of writing making medical claims.
Volunteers, under the guidance of the Communications Director, will provide factual, evidence-backed answers to health questions forwarded to them by the Communications department within 1 - 3days of receipt via email, text, or over the phone. The Communications Director will then integrate these facts, resources, recommendations etc. into her prose responses, blogs, etc. (So, no need to make the responses "pretty," they just need to include correct, up-to-date information on the subject).
Popular health topics we get questions on include:
- mental health and wellness
- general gynecological health
- breast health
- birth control
- abortion options/access
- sex drugs for women
- the safety of personal care products
- menopause challenges
- trans health care
- health care system navigation
We anticipate needing support with 1 - 2 questions and/or fact checking assignments per week per health officer.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About National Women's Health Network
1413 K Street NW suite 400, Washington, DC 20005, US
We improve the health of all women by developing and promoting a critical analysis of health issues in order to affect policy and support consumer decision-making.
The National Women's Health Network was founded in 1975 to give women a greater voice within the healthcare system. NWHN is a membership-based organization supported by thousands of individuals and organizations nationwide. We do not accept financial support from pharmaceutical companies, tobacco companies or medical device manufacturers. NWHN is committed to advancing women's health by:
- raising women's voices for the health care we need
- challenging dangerous drugs and devices
- securing sexual and reproductive health and autonomy
- building a higher-quality, more equitable health care system
To accomplish these goals we shape policy and support consumer decision-making by developing and promoting a critical analysis of health issues. The NWHN monitors the actions of federal regulatory and funding agencies, industry and the health professions, identifies abuses and makes change by exposing the abuse and catalyzing grassroots action.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
May 20, 2022
- Mental Health
- Patient Care
- Must be at least 18
- 1 - 2 hours per week.
- Must have some sort of medical background. (E.g., training as a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, EMT, doula, midwife, mental health professional...any training in the health care field.)