10 people are interested
Board of Directors
ORGANIZATION: URBAN NATURE PARTNERS PDX
Please visit the new page to apply.
10 people are interested
Board Member Responsibilities
As a young, grassroots organization, Urban Nature Partners PDX depends on a "working Board" to complement the work of its small staff and volunteers. In addition to following bylaws, conflict of interest guidelines, and other policies, UNP-PDX Board members agree to the following terms:
- Commit to a 1-3 year term of volunteer service as a Director at an average of 10 hours per month (more or less depending on the flow of work in a member’s focus area throughout the year); report hours monthly in a timely fashion. New board members serve for an initial 1-year term.
- Attend the majority of Board meetings, and coordinate and attend work group meetings as needed with other Directors. Board meetings are held monthly with ad hoc meetings occurring as needed to adequately oversee the work of the organization.
- Provide professional expertise and guidance to the Program Director, other Board Directors, Advisors, and other UNP-PDX volunteers, staff, interns, and contractors as qualified.
- Attend at least one group outing per year and one mentor happy hour per year to understand/experience program operations and connect with mentors and staff.
- Help plan, publicize and attend at least one fundraising event per year.
- Leverage personal and professional networks to help identify potential partners, supporters, funders, and volunteers, and represent UNP-PDX professionally and proactively in the community.
- Contribute a monthly donation in an amount that is meaningful to the committee member’s financial status.
- Additionally, in order to protect each other and the marginalized communities we serve, all UNP staff and volunteers including Board Directors are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to receive recommended boosters.
In 2023, we are especially seeking the following qualifications in new Board members:
- BIPOC, from immigrant backgrounds, Spanish speakers, and others who share similar demographics and life experiences with the diverse and low income youth and families we serve.
- Previous experience in writing or updating a nonprofit Strategic Plan or similar long range planning process.
- Experience in building and maintaining community based fundraising opportunities, cultivating donors, and/or helping plan and execute fundraising events.
- Experience developing and supporting DEI initiatives, and helping recruit and support a diverse/BIPOC workforce, mentor cadre, and Board members.
- Knowledge and skills in creating and maintaining policies and procedures, and ensuring compliance with Oregon non-profit organization standards and regulations.
In 2023, we are additionally seeking to fill some of the following Officer positions and Committee Chair positions:
President or Co-President:
Leading the Board of Directors in setting and meeting objectives and performing its duties and responsibilities, including: leading the development and completion of the 2022 Strategic Plan, setting the agenda for and presiding over monthly Board meetings, acting as the primary liaison to the Executive Director and staff, and serving as the chief representative of UNP-PDX in policy and legal matters.
Ensure Board activities are conducted in accordance with Oregon nonprofit law and UNP Bylaws. Record and store official minutes for each meeting, ensure a quorum is attained and all votes are properly recorded.
Work with the organization’s accountant to oversee and report on organizational finances and ensure sound financial health; advise/assist Program and Development staff in setting fundraising goals and developing budgets; ensure full and accurate accounts of financial records are maintained.
Human Resources Liaison:
Advise on building and maintaining a strong organizational culture, continuously improving internal communications and relationships, and identifying growth opportunities for Directors, staff, and volunteers.
Support the Development team and lead other Board members in planning and executing three successful fundraising events annually, meeting the fundraising goals of the 2022 Fundraising Plan for multiple community based fundraising streams, assisting in tracking and maintaining individual donors, and developing reachable goals in the revised Strategic Plan.
Serving on the UNP-PDX Board of Directors provides the following benefits:
- Access to peer training and professional training through the Nonprofit Association of Oregon.
- The opportunity to make an impact and contribute to the growth and success of a non-profit organization whose mission is to achieve social equity for, and empower, youth from historically marginalized communities.
- Opportunity to network and develop new knowledge and skills from fellow committee members; understand how a small non-profit organization operates; opportunity to shadow Program Director or other staff or members upon request.
- Take advantage of member perks such as a free sensory deprivation float, a free acupuncture session, and Columbia Pro Deal discounts.
- Educational credit and/or professional references available.
About Our Program
To arrange an informational interview, please send an application and a resume or statement of interest to Board Directors firstname.lastname@example.org
Urban Nature Partners PDX empowers youth from historically marginalized Portland communities through building long term mentoring relationships and providing access to meaningful outdoor experiences. Mentor-youth activities take place in easily accessible outdoor areas in and around Portland, are driven by the interests and abilities of each youth, and are relevant to a young person’s culture and background. Group outings are family inclusive, and UNP connects youth to summer camp and leadership activities internally and through partners to cultivate further outdoors skills and promote well being and future job opportunities as youth grow. For more information, go to: http://urban-nature-partners.org.
More opportunities with URBAN NATURE PARTNERS PDX
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About URBAN NATURE PARTNERS PDX
9201 SE Foster Rd, #204, PORTLAND, OR 97266, US
Urban Nature Partners PDX empowers youth from historically marginalized Portland communities through long term one-on-one mentoring relationships and access to meaningful outdoor experiences.
We are committed to inclusivity and building social equity, both among the youth and families we serve, and in the environmental and outdoor communities as a whole.
We promote a holistic system of intertwinedrelationships between family, school, and community as the foundation of supporting each youth.
We take a strength-based approach by encouraging and building on the inherent capabilities in each youth.
We foster curiosity and experiential learning that promotes youth choice over curriculum driven programming.
We model our values in a cooperative organizational structure based on consensus decision making, mutual trust, and shared respect.
9201 Southeast Foster Road#204Portland, OR 97266
April 17, 2023
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
- Human Resources Strategy
- Donor Management
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Must be at least 21
- Up to 10 hours a month