3 people are interested
CASA/GAL Volunteer Advocates for Kids
ORGANIZATION: Kids' Voice of Indiana
Please visit the new page to apply.
3 people are interested
Volunteer Advocates can make a pivotal difference in the trajectory of a vulnerable child’s life.
Our Volunteers receive training, guidance, and ongoing support from Kids’ Voice staff. We have two kinds of child advocate opportunities, CASA and GAL Volunteers. All of our volunteers are matched with a child or sibling group, gather information about the child and their circumstances, and report on that information to the court. Judges rely on the independent, unbiased and common sense perspective of our volunteers to make informed decisions about the child's best interests and future.
- CASA volunteers (Court Appointed Special Advocates) with Kids’ Voice advocate for children in the foster care system in Marion County. When a child is abused or neglected, a judge may decide the court’s ongoing intervention (and the involvement of the Department of Child Services), is required to keep the child safe. Our CASA program is appointed to be "the voice in court" for each of these children. We get to know the child, advocate for their needs, and present their best interests to the judge who is making consequential decisions on the child’s behalf.
- GAL volunteers (Guardians ad Litem) with Kids’ Voice advocate for children who's families are involved in especially contentious paternity, divorce, guardianship, and adoption cases in Marion County. As a GAL, you will conduct home visits, investigate the children’s situations, interview family members and other service providers, and write a report with recommendations for the court. You may also appear in court and testify on the children’s behalf.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Kids' Voice of Indiana
127 E. Michigan St., Ste. 500, Indianapolis, IN 46204, US
At Kids’ Voice of Indiana, our mission is to serve Indiana’s children and families by providing legal education, child advocacy, and family visitation through our programs.
For more than three decades, Kids’ Voice has been a champion in Marion County for abused and neglected children, and those at substantial risk.Kids’ Voice works to prevent children from experiencing or re-experiencing abuse and/or neglect. We use a comprehensive approach which includes diligent advocacy of children’s best interests in Court, updated legal information for attorneys, child service professionals, and the community, and providing a safe place for children and parents to spend time together.
- In 1983, we authored an invaluable resource (the Indiana CHINS and Family Law Deskbook) for Indiana judges, attorneys and other professionals working in the child welfare field. The Deskbook continues to be published every two years and is relied on by many professionals.
- In 1985, Kids' Voice of Indiana was formed as a non-profit.
- In 1993, the Guardian ad Litem (GAL) program for kids was established.
- In 1997, the Safe Child Parenting Time program was established.
- In 2009, we became a United Way agency.
- In 2021, the City of Indianapolis awarded Kids' Voice the contract to be the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) program for Marion County, IN.
- Also in 2021, the Indianapolis Bar Association and Foundation recognized Kids' Voice as the recipient of the Magistrate Deborah J. Shook Award for Excellence in Family Law.
127 E. Michigan St.Ste. 500Indianapolis, IN 46204
February 28, 2022
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Child Advocacy
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Child Welfare
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers will be assigned one case which may include 1 child or a sibling group. Volunteers typically spend 6-8 hours/mo on their case. Volunteers stay with the case until it is successfully closed, typically 12-18 moinths.
- A Child Protective Services background check will be conducted. Employees of any agency holding a DCS contract are not eligible to volunteer with us.