We're sorry, this opportunity is no longer active.
Idealist.org has 6603 more opportunities, please check them out.See Opportunities
Gender Advocate Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Trans Advocacy and Care Team
POSITION TITLE: Gender Advocate Volunteer
POSITION TYPE: Volunteer, unpaid
DEPARTMENT: Direct Services
HOURS: 10 hour training; 4+ hours per week; 6 month commitment; remote with scheduling flexibility
ABOUT THE TRANS ADVOCACY & CARE TEAM (TACT):
TACT (Trans Advocacy & Care Team) is a growing non-profit initiative based in Oakland that champions the wellbeing of trans and nonbinary individuals. We are trans people helping other trans people to thrive. TACT was founded in 2021 and is staffed by a growing team of volunteers who are working to build a network of community support for trans and nonbinary individuals. TACT provides 1-on-1 peer support, facilitates restorative conversations, hosts community events and support groups, and promotes gender inclusivity through education and advocacy.
TACT centers the lived experience of trans and nonbinary people and is a trans-led organization. We are currently seeking volunteers who want to be part of this new and growing nonprofit as we work together to create a world where trans folks can thrive and be deeply understood.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION:
Gender Advocates are trans and nonbinary people who help other trans and nonbinary people achieve a sense of gender congruence, navigate institutions, access affirming services and seek reparations when they’ve been harmed. They are peer counselors, coaches, and mentors who employ strong active listening skills and center the lived experiences of the individuals who they support. Gender Advocates support trans folks by providing resources and referrals, and by co-creating action plans. Gender Advocates provide peer counseling and affirmative guidance with the ultimate goal of helping trans and non-binary folks to thrive.
- Provide wellness-focused peer-to-peer support in 1:1 settings via phone or video call.
- Support and guide clients as they navigate their continual process of transition.
- Advocate on behalf of and facilitate restorative mediation for clients when they experience harm in professional, medical, and personal spheres.
- Provide information and assist clients with access to community services and resources.
- Provide ongoing follow-up contact to ensure clients are connected to appropriate supports, and provide additional assistance when needed.
- Help ensure that services are sensitive to the cultural context and personal history of each client and the client’s support system.
- Respect the confidentiality and lived experience of clients.
- Time commitment: 10 hour training; 4+ hours per week; remote with scheduling flexibility
- Must identify as trans / nonbinary / two-spirit
- A sense of fulfillment and purpose by leveraging your lived experience to support other trans and nonbinary individuals
- Experience for your resume
- Can provide work recommendation for future employer (if you complete volunteer time commitment)
- Great opportunity to get involved with a growing nonprofit and to advocate for trans and nonbinary individuals
- Able to work independently and collaboratively
- Experience working with marginalized communities
- Interest or experience in counseling, social work, psychology, or advocacy
- Experience as a peer counselor preferred (not required)
- Experience with restorative justice frameworks (not required)
- Experience navigating healthcare, mental healthcare, legal systems, and workplaces as a trans or nonbinary person
- Must identify as trans / nonbinary / two-spirit
- Strong active listening skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills--oral and written
- Ability to work with diverse individuals in an empathetic and non-judgmental manner
- Must demonstrate maturity, emotional stability, and sound judgment
- Can commit to a minimum of 6 months (4+ hours per week) and must complete 10 hours of training prior to beginning
- Has a passion for empowering, uplifting, and learning more about the trans community
- Organized, reliable, and warm
- Must be 18 years of age or older
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete a volunteer application at https://forms.clickup.com/f/h6djp-1840/KUOS0G7G07I8Z7TJSL
TACT is committed to the inclusion of all members of our community. We welcome and strongly encourage people from historically marginalized and economically disadvantaged groups, including BIPOC, trans-feminine folks, folks with disabilities, and folks from working class backgrounds to apply.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
2153 Vine StreetBerkeley, CA 94709
February 23, 2022
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK