Everybody Wins! Vermont
The Reading Mentor meets for approximately one hour a week, one-to-one, with an elementary school student. Reading Mentors are encouraged to bring lunch; books are available at the school site. The Reading Mentor reports weekly to School Coordinator, who is an EW! VT staff member, at the school site. The Reading Mentor has lunch, talks with and listens to the child, reads aloud with the child, and encourages the child's interest in reading by exploring books and word games together. The Reading Mentor also provides positive, consistent, weekly attention. Reading Mentors...
Attend one or more evening community workshops
- Have fun reading!
- Build relationships by talking about shared interests, by reading aloud with their students, and by being positive and consistent.
- Make a commitment to volunteer for one school year and are encouraged to continue reading with the same child in following years.
- Receive support from Everybody Wins! Vermont , specifically from the School Coordinator and the central office staff.
- Provide structure in the Power Lunch by bringing or helping select the reading material, by keeping their students engaged, and by encouraging questioning and conversation.
- Stay with the student during each session, and escort them in the hallways and at the end of the Power Lunch to their next destination.
each school year