1 person is interested
Igbo translator for basic maths lessons e.g. Addition, multiplication etc.
ORGANIZATION: OPPIA FOUNDATION INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
If you’re fluent in spoken and written Igbo and passionate about eradicating education inequality, keep reading! Oppia is looking for someone to join our translation team to translate our online lessons from English to Igbo.Fill this form to get started - https://forms.gle/HTCWBRixXo9gJj2o7
Who We Are
The Oppia Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with the mission to provide high quality education to all. We do this through the creation and maintenance of our platform, Oppia (http://www.oppia.org), the coordination of our passionate contributors, and the development of critical partnerships with NGOs in the communities we aim to serve.Even before COVID-19, students around the world were facing difficulties accessing quality education due to conflict, discrimination, lack of teacher training, and more. However, with COVID-19 forcing everyone to stay quarantined in their own homes, students now more than ever need access to free, quality education to ensure that they can continue to learn even if they cannot attend school.
Where You Fit In
Millions of children are not receiving the education they deserve. Of the 61 million children worldwide who cannot attend primary school, 17 million will never step foot into a school if trends continue. And, unfortunately, even those students who are in school may not receive the effective education they need.
Our community of volunteers has created a series of mathematics lessons that have proved highly engaging and effective with English-speaking students, including in a randomized controlled trial. We now want to expand the reach of these lessons by translating them into Hindi. This language is a particular focus because we already have students who speak them who are interested in using our lessons.
We are looking for native or native-level speakers of Hindi to translate the lessons, in written and audio form (it’s fine if you just want to do one of these).
Why Oppia is an Organization You Want to Work With
- Oppia has served over 1,100,000 users.
- Oppia’s current library consists of more than 20,000 lessons.
- Oppia focuses on effectiveness. Our continuous improvement process involves rigorous user testing and RCTs to ensure we create high quality educational materials catered to the needs of our most underserved global learners.
- Oppia consists of passionate volunteers from across the globe, so our meetings are held online at flexible times.
What Our Translation Team contributes
- Adding written translations of lessons to other languages.
- Adding audio dubbing of lessons in other languages, to help students whose reading skills are weaker.
- Advising on any barriers that students from different cultures might encounter when understanding and relating to the stories we have written to motivate the lessons.
About OPPIA FOUNDATION INC
801 Rose Ave, MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA 94040, US
Oppia’s mission is to help anyone, anywhere learn anything they want to in an effective and enjoyable way.
The Oppia team works to create effective, enjoyable online lessons at scale that can reach millions of people. We want every individual, no matter what their personal circumstances, to have access to learning experiences that are not only pedagogically effective, but also fun and engaging.
Oppia’s unique technology simulates an interactive tutor, adapting each lesson to individual learners’ needs and providing specific, targeted feedback to help them improve. Furthermore, the lessons are openly licensed and the platform open source, which enables a diverse group of educators and technologists from around the world to regularly iterate on and improve them.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
April 15, 2022
- Math / Science Instruction