We're sorry, this opportunity is no longer active.
Idealist.org has 6590 more opportunities, please check them out.See Opportunities
Planetarium Usher Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
Position Summary: The Planetarium Usher guides guests as they experience OMSI’s Kendall Planetarium shows, featuring a domed display of space and live commentary. Volunteers who have some experience with public speaking and customer service, as well as a passion for supporting space science, will enjoy this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet and welcome all planetarium guests prior to their show utilizing a microphone to share any pertinent information.
- Facilitate admittance into the planetarium utilizing timed tickets to allow limited seating inside.
- When necessary, encourage parties to adhere to OMSI’s safety protocols, including social distancing and wearing protective face coverings.
- During the show, monitor the audience for any safety concerns and escort guests out if they need to leave early.
- Assist the Space Science Educator as needed prior to, during, and after the show.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Interest in supporting astronomy or space science education.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Comfortable speaking to a large group with the use of a microphone.
- Able to listen to and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds, education levels, and ages.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Able to maintain a calm and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
Schedule and Support:
- Minimum number of hours: 10 hours per month, 5 hours per shift
- Minimum age: 18 years
- Attend the following trainings or classes provided by OMSI:
- Volunteer Orientation
- Emergency Protocols
- COVID-19 Safety training
- Customer Service training
- Role Specific training
- Training opportunities and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on availability.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1945 Southeast Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
February 17, 2022