We're sorry, this opportunity is no longer active.
Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) has 1 more opportunity, please check it out.See Opportunities
1 person is interested
Food Science Maker
ORGANIZATION: Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
POSITION SUMMARY: Volunteers support class participants during Saturday Maker
Workshops by prepping food samples and guiding guests through the process of
making cheese, cider, & more! Each workshop involves a lecture, hands on
activity and taste test, running for about 2 hours. Volunteers should have an
enthusiasm for creating food, handling food in a safe manner and making positive
experiences for adult learners. Must be over 21+ years old.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Prep materials for workshops with the Food Science Educator.
● Assist with classroom set up, re-set, and clean up, including preparing food
samples, assembling class cooking stations, and washing dishes.
● Guide guests through steps in the making process as described in the
lecture portion of the workshop.
● Assist the Food Science Educator as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
● Passionate about health education, nutrition, and cooking.
● Experience chopping fruit and slicing cheese with hand-powered kitchen
● Eager to facilitate guest-centered experiences.
● Able and interested in listening and communicating with people of diverse
backgrounds and age levels.
● Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of
● Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
● Dependable, punctual, communicative, and able to commit to a regular
● Commitment to safety and willing to uphold OMSI rules and procedures.
● Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
SCHEDULE AND SUPPORT:
● Available on Saturdays for 4 hours between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm
● Committed to supporting 2 or 3 workshops per month.
● Required trainings and certificates:
○ OMSI Volunteer Orientation & Emergency Protocols
○ Mandatory Reporter Training
● Training opportunities on the science behind food and a lifelong learning
● Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based
● An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer
● Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
● The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
All are welcome at OMSI.
OMSI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
February 14, 2022
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- SCHEDULE AND SUPPORT: ● Available on Saturdays for 4 hours between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm ● Committed to supporting 2 or 3 workshops per month. ● Required trainings and certificates:
- To Apply visit https://omsi.edu/volunteer