8 people are interested
BookPALS In-Person Volunteer for fall 2022
ORGANIZATION: Children's Literacy Network
Please visit the new page to apply.
8 people are interested
- Volunteers for BookPALS and Read With Kids serve as reading mentors to small groups of kindergarten-second graders to motivate and encourage excitement around reading! All books and resources are provided, we just need YOU!
- We are currently running this program virtually, but are now looking for volunteers who are interested in going into schools to help us reach even more students. If you have availability on Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesday morning/early afternoon, this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
- Students will be pulled from their class for 30 minutes to read with you in a small group. Training is provided and no experience is necessary, just a kind heart and open mind.
- COVID protocols will be followed according to each school and masks will be required.
About Children's Literacy Network
1100 N Main St, Suite 207, ANN ARBOR, MI 48104, US
Growing Readers for Life! Children’s Literacy Network’s mission is to design and implement literacy-based programs to provide equitable opportunities for children to develop a love of reading and books. We are a volunteer-based nonprofit agency established in 1991, dedicated to closing the book and reading achievement gap to keep low-income students from falling further behind their more affluent peers. Children's Literacy Network (CLN) accomplishes this goal through innovative programming at the early childhood and school-age levels.
For 31 years CLN has provided literacy programs to 400,000 young readers in Washtenaw County, distributing more than a million dollars in new high-quality books to low-income children, creating home libraries for families who need them most. CLN’s current continuum of services and the growth in scope and programming could not have been foreseen by CLN’s founders. Nevertheless, the original goals of the organization remain the same. CLN’s services are useful and empowering for parents, and critical to narrowing the achievement gap between students of different neighborhoods and resources. CLN is committed to meeting ongoing literacy needs, and is dynamic and determined to work with community partners to meet emergent and urgent needs.
Multiple locations Ypsilanti, MI 48197
May 1, 2022
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Child Welfare
- Child Development
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours once a week in Sept-December 2022.