We're sorry, this opportunity is no longer active.
Idealist.org has 6581 more opportunities, please check them out.See Opportunities
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Appalachian Trail Conservancy
Join the Damascus Trail Center team at one of the most well-known hiker events on the east coast - Trail Days. The Damascus Trail Center is searching for volunteers to help staff the Appalachian Trail Conservancy booth, participate in programming, and assist staff over the 3-day hiker event. Volunteers will have the opportunity to gather with nationally known outdoor brands, stewardship partners, and thru-hikers.
Damascus, VA, or "Trail Town - USA," is home to one of the most well-known hiker-focused events on the East Coast. Trail Days. Trail Days attracts approximately 10,000 outdoor enthusiasts to the designated Appalachian Trail (A.T.) Community of 800 people over a four-day event celebrating hiking, trails, and the outdoors in general. The event is typically held the weekend following Mother's Day every year. Join the ATC at the Damascus Trail Center to empower and educate attendees during this long- running, and ever-growing, year event. To learn more please visit Trail Days - Damascus, VA » Home
· Assist Visitor Center staff and volunteers with set-up and breakdown for activities
· Assist with daily and general cleaning tasks throughout the event
· Provide visitors with accurate information on local and regional recreation activities, responsible recreation and stewardship practices, and answer questions related to the ATC
· Engage with new and existing stewards by promoting stewardship opportunities, and assist visitor center staff and volunteers by carrying out ATC membership transactions
· Assist Visitor Center staff and volunteers with staffing the information booths, and providing coverage for staff and volunteers breaks
· Coordinates day of support for vendors, activities, staff, and volunteers. Including booth assignments, technology assistance, and communicating any conflicts with assigned supervisors.
· If willing and able, lead a Trail Days activity. Examples include: Leave No Trace™ educational talks, A.T. storytelling, trail stewardship training, and backpacking 101.
· Attend and assist a well-known outdoor recreation festival, work alongside nationally- known vendors to promote, advocate, and protect an internationally known trail system
· Join a team of premier conservation and recreation stewards, and assist with empowering recreationists to be good stewards
· Familiarity with Leave No Trace™ and Recreate Responsibly™ principles and tenets
· Familiarity with outdoor stewardship initiatives such as the A.T. Community program, Landscape Partnership, Trail Management, ATC Maintaining Clubs, or other stewardship organizations is a plus but not required
· Knowledge of local and regional recreation assets and opportunities are a plus, but not required
· Previous program and event experience is a plus but not required · Ability to understand and convey to the public the ATC’s vision, mission, and identity
· Be available to work mornings, days, or evenings throughout the festival beginning on Thursday and running through Sunday
· Time management and ability to work on a team is a must
· Must be able to sit or stand for 3 -4 hours at a time
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurringFalse
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
209 West Laurel AvenueDamascus, VA 24236
February 4, 2022