AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Camp Counselor
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: OH-WV Youth Leadership Association: Camp Horseshoe
YLA Camp Horseshoe is now recruiting Summer Camp Counselors to supervise children and youth, making a life-changing difference for good. What do Camp Counselors do? The most important of all Camp Counselor duties is to ensure campers are safe at all times. You’ll be responsible for overseeing their activities and ensuring they don’t get lost or hurt. The duties of a Camp Counselor include planning summer camp activities, educating children and teenagers, and maintaining a clean and welcoming facility. Being reliable and able to build good relationships with children are two essential traits of a Camp Counselor. You need to be comfortable living in a rustic camp environment, with your housing, meals, paid training, a living allowance, and eligibility for an Education Award provided. Earn 600+ hours of service over the 10 week period and build skills for life. If you want to learn, serve, grow, and give back this summer, this position is for you.
- Plan educational, leadership development activities for groups of campers
- Lead recreational and educational activities based on children's interests
- Escort and oversee children throughout each activity
- Educate campers through games and explorations
- Make sure all safety rules are followed
- Maintain a clean and safe cabin area, bathhouse, and camp facilities
- Perform first aid or take care of injuries as needed (First Aid/CPR/AED certification will be provided)
- Keep accurate reports
- Proven experience as Camp Counselor or similar role working with children
- Familiarity with camping and various outdoor activities
- Patient and reliable
- Organizational and communication skills
- A love for children and youth development
- Energetic and positive personality
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job (strength and stamina to follow strenuous activities like hiking, running, crouching or carrying children)
- High school diploma
- Must be at least 18 by May 23, 2022 to qualify for AmeriCorps VISTA status
- Must be a US Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident to qualify for AmeriCorps VISTA status
Skills Required - The ability to work responsibly as part of a team, supportive of Horseshoe’s philosophy and culture, positive attitude, good with campers from a range of backgrounds, able to see and support the vision of helping young people become their best as good citizens of their communities.
Duty, responsibility, character, commitment, a strong work ethic, and service to others are qualities Horseshoe camp counselors must have and do for personal growth as well as success in the lives of campers.
Counselors receive free room/board and a weekly living allowance of $330/week for a duration of 10 weeks. Counselors may also qualify for benefits such as the Segal Education Award through the AmeriCorps Summer Associate VISTA program.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
3309 Horseshoe Run RoadParsons, WV 26287
February 4, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME