Remote Conservation Intern on Donor Relations & Administration (on-line internship volunteer)
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: La Tortuga Viva
La Tortuga Viva (LTV), locally known as "Association Civil Campamento Tortuguero Playa Icacos," is a non-profit conservation organization dedicated to repopulating threatened sea turtle species nesting on Playa Icacos. Since our beginning in 2010, we have released over 500,000 baby sea turtles through the leadership and participation of members of the local community of Juluchuca, Guerrero, to relocate vulnerable nests into our Sanctuary for incubation and, ultimately, release the hatchlings into the ocean. Our community conservation program includes environmental education, sustainable ecotourism and local and international volunteer options to support and complement our direct conservation work.
Find us on:
TheOceanFoundation LaTortugaViva sponsored project
Volunteers & Interns are essential to our organization. LTV is looking for motivated and skillful candidates to join our small international team in the position of:
Remote Conservation Intern (RCI) on on Donor Relations & Administration (on-line position).
- All positions are unpaid. We do not charge any fee to volunteer with us. We do not provide insurance or cover other personal expenses. Volunteers are welcome to fundraise for their position.
- All positions are eligible for internships and placements that offer educational credits for students and researchers who want to collaborate with us. All fields of study are welcome.
- Volunteer roles depend on availability, experience, and fulfillment of basic requirements:
>Long term commitment: minimum 4-5 months
>Fluency in English
>Fluency in Spanish as well is prefered
>Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
Support LTV from anywhere in the world! Either as a volunteer, academic or part of an internship/placement, the Remote Conservation Intern (RCI) role offers its candidates a unique opportunity to use the resources of one's domestic location to aid an international NGO and personally contribute to the protection of sea turtles.
This position is for those interested in public and donor relations, with proficient IT, writing and organisational skills. It is a multifaceted role designed to help with communication, fundraising, education, outreach, and networking. This role would ideally require someone who is confident with sending emails as well as being able to interact with other charities and people in a professional manner.
As LTV is a small non-profit charity organisation, we receive few donations from intentional supporters. "Adopt a sea turtle nest" is one of our main initiatives to finance our community conservation program. By adopting a turtle nest, anyone can become part of our team and part of our cause.
The RCI on Donor Relations & Administration is responsible for the program Adopt a nest as well as for developing and implementing engagement and fundraising strategies to enhance and grow revenue and current and prospective donors.
Aspects of this role include but are not limited to:
- Follow Adopt a nest program, send regular emails, update database
- Promote and implement Adopt a nest program
- Assist writing official reports, protocols, manuals and materials about LTV achievements
- Support translations
- Collaborate with other RCIs and LTV members on-site
- Develop NGO Support Skills
RCIs can learn the details of an NGO, how it is run and how it impacts the world. This role teaches its candidate extensive skills in its respective fields by working in a small international team. Support skills are highly transferable to other fields and stand candidates in good stead for similar careers. Report-writing, grant-writing public relations, and documentation is regularly practised in this role.
- Digital communications, Social Media Management and Fundraising Skills
Learn to manage different social media platforms, including accounts with over 1.6K followers, on digital campaigns and communications. Develop useful skills in promoting, graphic development, marketing and more. Interact with an online community of followers and connect to organisations all over the world. Networking opportunities also arise for candidates through this role.
- Support A Force For Change
LTV is a passionate organisation working each day to make a difference in the face of unprecedented threats. Sea turtles and their importance to oceanic health can be an unparalleled tool for the future of marine environments. By supporting LTV, interns and volunteers are part of a wider community of dedicated environmental NGOs.
- Work From Home
RCIs are able to work from home with relatively flexible hours.
- Academic Fulfilment
Many volunteers assist our NGO as part of their academic career (internships, placements, academic credit).
- Invitation to Volunteer in-Person
Although remote, the opportunity to volunteer in-person is always available to RCIs. All are welcome to join our project for any length of time, although longer stays are encouraged. RCIs will not need to be profiled like other candidates due to their history with LTV. Proficient in Spanish is ALWAYS required for on-site positions.
- Letter of Reference
Upon the successful completion of the period of service with us, LTV leaders encourage volunteers to request a reference for future prospects.
- A long term commitment of 4-5 months.
- Virtual Access
- Access to a CPU, laptop, tablet or similar multi-capable device is essential for this role. As most of your work is online i.e. research, grant writing and social media management, candidates must be established with the necessary equipment to fulfil the responsibilities of an RCI.
- Access to WiFi or Network Internet access is essential for this role i.e. research, communication, coordination etc.
- Proficiency in Research, Writing & Organizational Areas
- Candidates must demonstrate an ability to effectively manage the responsibilities of the RCI role in order to support LTV. This is integral and those who are lacking in the necessary skills to do so will struggle to perform the role. Prior experience in these fields are preferred, although not essential.
- Qualifications and/or experience in one of the following fields is desired:
social media, marketing, communications, graphic design, life sciences (biology, ecology, zoology, marine biology, conservation, environmental protection, etc.), education (environmental education, education for youth, community development & related fields), management (NGO management, volunteer management & related fields).
- Fluency in English, and Spanish is a plus.
A fluency in both is preferred, however an RCI can get by with an experienced fluency in only one of these categories.
- Willingness to Volunteer & In a Remote Setting from LTV HQ
Volunteers need a strong sense of willingness to participate and actively become part of LTV’s mission. The mantra 'hard work leads to success’ is no more embodied than in our organisation. The more active a volunteer, the more sea turtles can be saved, the more a community can learn and the more the world becomes more sustainable.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Playa Icacos, Juluchuca, PetatlanState of GuerreroJuluchuca, 40834Mexico
March 12, 2022